Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
gnimmelf

Chromium daily builds

Post by gnimmelf »

Hello everybody
im using Chromium daily builds from here
https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa
on my mint 10 64 bit.

Im trying out the LMDE 64 bit but its much slower than mint 10 Browser wise.
I cant figure out how to get the chromium from the daily builds by adding it to my software sources, it dosent work like in mint 10!

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily

maybe its not posible? is it because its based on ubuntu? it works in mint 10? could anyone give me a how to in LMDE?

kind regards Gnimmelf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Chromium daily builds

Post by viking777 »

is it because its based on ubuntu? it works in mint 10? could anyone give me a how to in LMDE?
The fact that you already know the answer to your own question means it is hardly worth posting the question. Just add the ppa manually (and the instructions for that are on the page that you linked to at the beginning of your post, so there is no need for me to repeat them) and it probably will work. If you do that and it doesn't work, then post again, but never assume that Ubuntu and Debian/LMDE are exactly the same, they aren't.
xircon

Post by xircon »

This works, copy and paste to an editor. Save in, say, /usr/bin as add-apt-repository and make executable:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
if [ $# -eq 1 ]
then
	ppa_name=`echo "$1" | cut -d":" -f2 -s`
	if [ -z "$ppa_name" ]
	then
		echo "PPA name not found"
		echo "Utility to add PPA repositories in your debian machine"
		echo "$0 ppa:user/ppa-name"
	else
		echo "$ppa_name"
		echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/$ppa_name/ubuntu lucid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
		apt-get update >> /dev/null 2> /tmp/apt_add_key.txt
		key=`cat /tmp/apt_add_key.txt | cut -d":" -f6 | cut -d" " -f3`
		apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys $key
		rm -rf /tmp/apt_add_key.txt
	fi
else
	echo "Utility to add PPA repositories in your debian machine"
	echo "$0 ppa:user/ppa-name"
fi
It always uses lucid as the distribution, which seems to work well.
gnimmelf

Post by gnimmelf »

viking777 wrote:
is it because its based on ubuntu? it works in mint 10? could anyone give me a how to in LMDE?
The fact that you already know the answer to your own question means it is hardly worth posting the question. Just add the ppa manually (and the instructions for that are on the page that you linked to at the beginning of your post, so there is no need for me to repeat them) and it probably will work. If you do that and it doesn't work, then post again, but never assume that Ubuntu and Debian/LMDE are exactly the same, they aren't.

hm....... if I had known the answer to the Question I wouldnt have asked! Im not her to waste mine or your time! :?

kind regards Gnimmelf
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Re: Chromium daily builds

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

gnimmelf wrote:
viking777 wrote:

hm....... if I had known the answer to the Question I wouldnt have asked! Im not her to waste mine or your time! :?

kind regards Gnimmelf
You answered the question within the question... because LMDE is Debian based not ubuntu, ppas do not work. You can always add the Repo in manually, but is generally bad news to use ubuntu Repos in Debian.

Tappa tappa
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
gnimmelf

Post by gnimmelf »

Ok Thanks i tried manualy, it didnt work, i can see the key is added but it doesnt update from there.
Think i`ll stick with mint 10 then.

kind regards Gnimmelf
sumski

Post by sumski »

# Chromium (usually newer version than in the official repos)
# towo's repository for aptosid
# secure APT - apt-get install frickelplatz-archive-keyring frickelplatz-keyring frickelplatz-keyrings
# deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

Return to “LMDE Archive”