Firefox Ugly fonts

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox Ugly fonts

Postby bwat47 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 pm

I've noticed the firefox package in LMDE doesn't seem to be compiled to use system cairo... This isn't a great choice. Font rendering looks extremely inconsistent compared to the rest of the system and generally pretty terrible. I had to switch to chrome just so I could stand browsing the internet.

I love LMDE, but this is just a suggestion to make user experience better :) Firefox should be using the same font rendering as the rest of the system.
bwat47
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox Ugly fonts

Postby DrHu on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:28 pm

Font choices and themes are very personal choices

Apart from the long list of complaints about defaults, which anyone can change, there is no reason to go beyond the vendor's application selections, in this case Firefox (mozilla) and the themes or fonts they want to use..
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby bwat47 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:52 pm

DrHu wrote:Font choices and themes are very personal choices

Apart from the long list of complaints about defaults, which anyone can change, there is no reason to go beyond the vendors's application selections, in this case Firefox (mozilla) and the themes or fonts they want to use..

I actually think its quite objective that its "proper" to have firefox use the same font rendering as the rest of the system. This is how it is in most distros.
bwat47
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kijin on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:28 pm

DrHu wrote:Font choices and themes are very personal choices

bwat47 wrote:I actually think its quite objective that its "proper" to have firefox use the same font rendering as the rest of the system. This is how it is in most distros.

I agree with @bwat47. Firefox should follow the font rendering used by the rest of the system, because font choices and themes are very personal. When a user changes the way fonts are anti-aliased, for example, he/she expects all programs, including Firefox, to look just the way he/she likes.

I understand that we can't expect the time-strapped LMDE team to recompile everything like Ubuntu does. But Firefox is one of the most important programs, so I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for a bit more attention.
kijin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sumski on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:13 am

Acer Extensa 5630G - Core2Duo T5800 2GHz , 4 GB ram, Ati Mobility 3650.
OpenSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.3
Debian Sid KDE 4.7.1/2
sumski
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kijin on Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:25 pm

sumski wrote:iceweasel uses system cairo

I know. But Firefox, not Iceweasel, is LMDE's default browser. The default browser needs more love.

Just out of curiosity: Has anyone tried grabbing the source code of the Main Edition's Firefox and compiling it on LMDE? Does it work?
kijin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sumski on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:30 am

ubuntu's firefox also doesn't use system cairo; at least post 3.x versions don't
Acer Extensa 5630G - Core2Duo T5800 2GHz , 4 GB ram, Ati Mobility 3650.
OpenSUSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.3
Debian Sid KDE 4.7.1/2
sumski
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications