Install xfce desktop alongside gnome in LMDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Install xfce desktop alongside gnome in LMDE

Postby madwoollything on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 am

I'd like to try out the xfce debian version and already have a gnome lmde version installed on a laptop.

Having looked in synatpic, there appears to be many xfce packages and I'm unsure which ones I need to have an 'authentic mint xfce desktop' running alongside the existing gnome desktop.

How do I do this without wiping the existing install and then installing the xfce debian version (which seems a bit drastic)?
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install xfce desktop alongside gnome in LMDE

Postby xenopeek on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:34 am

Why not just run it in VirtualBox?

But if you want to, I think you can install the meta package task-xfce-desktop (or parts of what that meta package installs), and this will install all the usual Xfce packages. See description here: http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/task-xfce-desktop, install through the package manager (not by downloading this :wink:).
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Brian49 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:42 am

I can confirm from my experience that it is possible to run the two desktops side by side by starting with LMDE Gnome and installing the relevant Xfce packages via Synaptic. I ended up uninstalling Xfce because I found it less satisfactory than Gnome, but that's another story. By the way, you can of course run LMDE Xfce from a DVD or a USB flash drive if you just want to get the feel of it.
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Postby madwoollything on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 am

Thanks ...... will give this a try.

I'm partly thinking ahead in case the implementation of Gnome 3 in LMDE leaves me with a desktop that does not work for me (and friends/family I help).
I could then switch to XFCE without having to re-install all the LMDE boxes that I look after for other people.

Will installing the meta package create desktop that is the same as a fresh XFCE install?
madwoollything
Level 3
Level 3

Postby xenopeek on Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:50 am

madwoollything wrote:Will installing the meta package create desktop that is the same as a fresh XFCE install?

No, as you will still have GNOME applications that wouldn't be in a fresh XFCE install. But if you want to test the upgrade path, this is the way (without reinstall). You may also look at http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/task-gnome-desktop to see what packages you might want to remove.

Best to also compare with Live DVD or USB stick, dual-boot or as shared a virtual machine.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications