Software Center gone.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Important information

Software Center gone.

Postby VanR on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:28 am

Tonight I noticed that Software Center is no where to be found on my machine. I was going to install something from it, but can't find it anywhere. I tried to install software center in synaptic, but it complained about python 2.7 dependencies were missing. Any ideas?
VanR
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Software Center gone.

Postby wyrdoak on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:12 am

-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-17.1: KDE)
wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Postby pastim on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:44 am

Not being that good with linux I have failed to understand the relevance of the link above. My Software Center is also missing, but I can find no information about this in the post you refer to. I assume that one of the updates the menu has been changed in some way, but I have no idea how to fix it.
Ancient but excellent Sony laptop now running Mint Debian Mate. Spends much of it's time as a wireless controller for a Logitech Squeezebox.
pastim
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pastim on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am

Ah Ha! Having trawled the net a bit more, all of a sudden I understand. I shouldn't be trying to run Software Center at all - that's for Ubuntu-based systems. Since losing track of the facility to scan software sources many months ago I had forgotten that the Mint Debian version that was on my laptop was called Software Manager.

I had tried installing Software Center on my xfce system using synaptic but it refused to run.

What I needed to do was use synaptic to install debianinstall . That did the trick. Rebooting then re-established the tool in the correct place on the menu. :D
Ancient but excellent Sony laptop now running Mint Debian Mate. Spends much of it's time as a wireless controller for a Logitech Squeezebox.
pastim
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications