Virtual keyboard on "windows" key

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Virtual keyboard on "windows" key

Postby godsotherhand on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:13 am

Hello, could some1 please help me with using the "windows" key in order to fire up a program?(in my case, the virtual keyboard)

Also, if you could recommend me what packages to install for the virtual keyboard(if it's not installed by default) that would be great.
godsotherhand
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Virtual keyboard on "windows" key

Postby Brian49 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:45 pm

As far as I can see, there are only two virtual keyboard packages in the repositories: florence and xvkbd. Installing either of them involves also installing one additional package, but Synaptic will handle that for you.

Provided these packages run OK on your system, it should be straightforward to create a shortcut in whatever application shortcuts package you have, with a combination of the Windows key plus your chosen second key (k or v, for example), and 'florence' or 'xvkbd' in the command box as the case may be.
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Postby godsotherhand on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:21 am

yeah, but i want florence to go up when i press the windows key, not a combination.

To put it this way.. i am using the Iconia tab w500, which, as you can see :
http://www.google.ro/imgres?q=iconia+w5 ... 9,r:6,s:46
has a windows button on it.
So, for that single button to fire florence up would be great, but cant figure out how to do that..
godsotherhand
Level 4
Level 4

Postby godsotherhand on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:30 am

bump
godsotherhand
Level 4
Level 4

Postby qbic2005 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:01 pm

he

I use the same .... iconia w500 (you had any success with the multitouch ??)

about your question ... yes I got a way:
classic gnome + compiz --> capture keyboard command with 'uinput' that can trigger a script with the commands that get executed on compiz dbus.
(however in the last compiz version dbus is broken ... so there stopped my milage...)

gnome 3.x ---> enable the accesibility options and your keyboard will auto pop up on text box selection! keeping that button free for the shell overview. currently looking if I can do the same for florence ...
qbic2005
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications