[SOLVED] building Cinnamon (sid)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Re: building Cinnamon (sid)

Post by zerozero »

GregE

Post by GregE »

Mocky's build works on my machine - 64bit, Sid based.

OK, they are extensions. But they still get in the way of the applets. You can put some applets on one side of the extension, and some on the other. Not really an issue, I would guess extension devs will work out how to make them moveable as well. I had a quick look at the javascript and decided it was not so simple to recreate the positioning lines from the applets into an extension. But then I am but an amateur.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Greg

Reinstalled the weather applet, using dconf-editor, you can locate left/right/centre:
Configuration Editor_086.png
Steve
GregE

Post by GregE »

Thanks Steve, you can also set that from within the Weather Extension. I was just making an observation on the behaviour of moveable applets. I have the weather and places extensions on the far right next to the calendar and that is as good a place as any.

I have one oddity with the latest build, the task switcher has moved to the right and if I select classic it does not appear on the bottom panel like it used to do. I think it is in the far right of the center panel. I am still playing with the settings.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

zerozero wrote:no joy today :evil: cinnamon crashes

tried mockturtl's build and :x no joy either

reverted to the 13022012 snapshot
I get a similar explosion from cinnamon --replace within gnome-shell, but no problems logging in through gdm. Maybe there's a syntax error in some entry dconf-editor? The enabled-applets value seems like a potential bug magnet.

Can you get far enough to run looking glass (alt+F2 lg)?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Cinnamon 1.3 released (no sign in LMDE repo, yet)

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=163
xircon

Post by xircon »

Got 1.3 installed, requires muffin 1.01, which I had to borrow from the Lisa repo (will not compile on my machine), then compiled cinnamon - not much difference really.

Steve
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

GeneC wrote:Cinnamon 1.3 released (no sign in LMDE repo, yet)

Heyo! :D

muffin 1.0.1, cinnamon 1.3

i386
md5: a98c478d26af42a38d29570afa669906

amd64
md5: c1d4009ad747b6cad100381bf12177f1
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Thanks for those MT. :D
Lets see what's new!
GregE

Post by GregE »

Worked for me.

I had to edit the metadata.json files for the Weather and Extended places extensions. I just edited version from 1.2 to 1.3 and they work fine in 1.3.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Editing the weather metadata.json to 1.3.0 did not work for me.
Drag and Drop not working perfectly, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
"Menu" text is truncated.
'Windows list' is now stuck on right. :lol:
xircon

Post by xircon »

Check they are still ticked in cinnamon-settings > extensions. Then look in the looking glass to see if there are any errors (alt-f2 > lg > enter > errors).

Steve
GregE

Post by GregE »

GeneC wrote:Editing the weather metadata.json to 1.3.0 did not work for me.
Drag and Drop not working perfectly, sometimes yes, sometimes no.
"Menu" text is truncated.
'Windows list' is now stuck on right. :lol:
I have had the truncated Menu text with the last build of 1.2. I think it started when I removed Nautilus from the quick launch group. Something to do with the number of items to the right of the word Menu. Anyway I just put it back and back came all of "Menu".

My window list jumped right with the last of 1.2 and is still there with 1.3. I am guessing selecting Classic will result in a blank bottom panel with no functionality. I tried removing ./local/cinnamon and starting again, but that did not help.

EDIT: 5 items in the quick launch group appears the magic number. If you drop to four "Menu" is truncated. Classic mode is useless. The Window Manager appears to be in the center panel, but right justified.
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

mockturtl wrote:
GeneC wrote:Cinnamon 1.3 released (no sign in LMDE repo, yet)

Heyo! :D

muffin 1.0.1, cinnamon 1.3

i386
md5: a98c478d26af42a38d29570afa669906

amd64
md5: c1d4009ad747b6cad100381bf12177f1
Do these cinnamon/muffin debs require Ubuntu packages as dependencies?
Or can these packages be installed on wheezy/sid without having to manually install Ubuntu packages as deps?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

TheGreatSudoku wrote:Do these cinnamon/muffin debs require Ubuntu packages as dependencies?
Or can these packages be installed on wheezy/sid without having to manually install Ubuntu packages as deps?
Installing Ubuntu packages in Debian is asking for trouble.

I'm not aware of any dependencies. Please report here if you find any. They'll be available in the debian repos.
GregE

Post by GregE »

GreatSudoku, you might get a dependency issue with libmuffin-dev. If you apt-get -f install it will remove cinnamon. Just let it do it's thing and then reinstall just the cinnamon deb and it will then work. The -dev file is not necessary if you just want to use cinnamon.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mockturtl wrote:
zerozero wrote:no joy today :evil: cinnamon crashes

tried mockturtl's build and :x no joy either

reverted to the 13022012 snapshot
I get a similar explosion from cinnamon --replace within gnome-shell, but no problems logging in through gdm. Maybe there's a syntax error in some entry dconf-editor? The enabled-applets value seems like a potential bug magnet.

Can you get far enough to run looking glass (alt+F2 lg)?
yeahh, was definitely a dconf syntax error, tried again yesterday to install your 1.3 build (not that much free time :evil: so for now i take the lazy way and
- at first it crashed :lol:
- after set the dconf entry to defaults i could login :D (to a blank panel again) but i couldn't run cinnamon-settings; if not the same the error is very similar to this one

@TheGreatSudoku, my builds (and the couple i tried from mockturtl) never required any *buntu dep;
as you can see in my pastebin above mockturtl's 1.3 installs (and updates the installed pkgs) without any error.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

zerozero wrote:yeahh, was definitely a dconf syntax error, tried again yesterday to install your 1.3 build (not that much free time :evil: so for now i take the lazy way and
- at first it crashed :lol:
- after set the dconf entry to defaults i could login :D (to a blank panel again) but i couldn't run cinnamon-settings; if not the same the error is very similar to this one
Hm. I think that says cinnamon-settings is puking on one of its submenu icons.

Try this insertion at line 34:

/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py

Code: Select all

class SidePage:
    def __init__(self, name, icon, content_box):
        print name  # Add this line.  That's eight leading spaces, no tabs: python will throw a fit.
        self.name = name
        self.icon = icon
        self.content_box = content_box
        self.widgets = []
Now, from a terminal, run:

/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py 2> /dev/null
(redirecting stderr to the black hole, to suppress all the Gtk-WARNINGs for "Theme parsing error" -- these are normal. It will also throw away your stack trace when the error happens, I guess. :().

You should see traced out the name of each submenu:

Panel
Calendar
Overview
Themes
Effects
Applets
Extensions
Desktop
Windows
Fonts
That should tell us where the problem is, at least.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

mockturtl, will certainly give that recipe :D a try tomorrow or monday
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

As I can see from your chat, people, cinnamon 1.3 is not workable yet :)
Because it's boring just sit and read your test logs maybe someone could provide from time to time cinnamon builds and snapshots for LMDE amd64?
Share your fun, I'm jealous :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”