[SOLVED] building Cinnamon (sid)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
iLobster

Re: building Cinnamon (sid)

Post by iLobster »

Well, problem solved by myself -- fglrx is a crap! :)
Gallium works fine.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Fglrx is rubbish, only problem with Gallium is it runs hot, but if this is a problem try:

Code: Select all

cat /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
To see what is set to, then:

sudo sh -c "echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile"
To lower the settings.

Source http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

iLobster and GregE, you're welcome :) hope you enjoy cinnamon;

and a little update, the 06.02 snapshot (new cinnamon settings and workspace switching in overview- this was already in mockturtl's build

to upgrade, just reinstall the cinnamon deb. (and as always use at your own risk :lol: )
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

zerozero wrote:iLobster and GregE, you're welcome :) hope you enjoy cinnamon;

and a little update, the 06.02 snapshot (new cinnamon settings and workspace switching in overview- this was already in mockturtl's build

to upgrade, just reinstall the cinnamon deb. (and as always use at your own risk :lol: )
Thanks!
I must say, Cinnamon for amd64 is stable enough to put it into apt. Why not? Its crap version is already there.
And you will get more happy test subjects :wink:
Anyway, it can be used only with "testing" repo. Latest and Incoming are not affected.
xircon

Post by xircon »

@ZZ how do you work out the snapshot version number? I have been using "git pull" to update and then recompiling the debs, they all say 1.2 not 1.2.6.02 or whatever.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Steve, i just git clone afresh into a new folder (labelled with that days date) and then install that new deb (yes, it's true that they all say 1.2, but this way i know to what snapshot each deb corresponds) < maybe there's a more scientific way of doing things but this is working for me :)
xircon

Post by xircon »

OK, just wondered. I like the ability to swap workspaces in overview, very nifty :)
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

zerozero wrote:Steve, i just git clone afresh into a new folder (labelled with that days date) and then install that new deb (yes, it's true that they all say 1.2, but this way i know to what snapshot each deb corresponds)
You might consider switching to "year-month-day" date format, for filenames -- an advantage is that they'll sort chronologically.
maybe there's a more scientific way of doing things but this is working for me :)
Each state of the source tree is identified by a commit hash:

git log -1 --name-status      # list the most recent commit, and which files changed
git show --name-only 2320e    # tell me which files changed in commit 2320e692de5ab3f7c2d27d71356e342caf6aa649
If you want to be slightly fancy:

git pull    # 2 stages: 
            # fetch: download the latest changes from the "master" branch of the remote repository
            #   (at github) called "origin" (this was automatically set up by git clone)
            # merge: integrate the changes with your local files
            # now your working tree is up-to-date

run-build-commands-here    # generates output files... install them, tar them, etc.

git status    # there are lots of changes and unwanted artifacts
So we can:

sudo git clean -df    # throw away new (untracked) files, even if they're owned by root
git checkout -- .     # revert modifications to versioned files
Or:

sudo git stash --include-untracked    # temporarily "shelve" the changes and revert the tree to its original state
git stash drop                        # throw away the shelf :)
(*note: the --include-untracked option is not available in LMDE UP3's git version 1.7.5.4)

Now

git status
# On branch master, nothing to commit (working directory clean)
shows our housekeeping was successful.
Last edited by mockturtl on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

zerozero wrote: maybe there's a more scientific way of doing things
^^ see :lol: i told ya 8) ^^
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

I wonder if there will be repsins of the LMDE 32 and 64 bit DVDs once Cinnamon is obtainable via apt-get in LMDE
GregE

Post by GregE »

The weather extension from the Ubuntu PPA works fine. I just downloaded the deb and used Gdebi.

https://launchpad.net/~merlwiz79/+archi ... /+packages

The extended places extension works as well. The Places item in the Mint Menu does nothing, just as the Places entry in MGSE does nothing in LMDE running Gnome Shell.
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

GregE wrote:The weather extension from the Ubuntu PPA works fine. I just downloaded the deb and used Gdebi.

https://launchpad.net/~merlwiz79/+archi ... /+packages

The extended places extension works as well. The Places item in the Mint Menu does nothing, just as the Places entry in MGSE does nothing in LMDE running Gnome Shell.
Why nothing? Places from menu works well as expected.
In my case there is only one bug so far: in Firefox -- Downloads (right click on any file) command "Open folder with file" opens empty menu.
GregE

Post by GregE »

The Places item has never worked for me, yet on Ubuntu based installs it always works. There must be a missing dependency. I have never cared enough to try and solve it.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

If we want to discard all the modifications we made in the source code, we can just do

git reset --hard
and then 'git pull' the new code.
(of course I'm completely noob with git but I used that a lot when I translated stuff)
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

secipolla wrote:If we want to discard all the modifications we made in the source code, we can just do

git reset --hard
and then 'git pull' the new code.
(of course I'm completely noob with git but I used that a lot when I translated stuff)
reset will "un-stage" local changes (it's the opposite of add). With the --hard flag, it also clobbers them, together with any changes which had not been staged.

It won't touch new (untracked) files, though -- you need clean to get rid of those.

Everybody out there in compiler land, muffin had a slight update over the weekend.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Those muffin commits are not too interesting, the ones from 5th February are just there for compatibility with future Cinnamon versions and not yet needed with the present Git of Cinnamon. And the Cinnamon work of today just edits the address of the Free Software Foundation which happens to be mentioned in the comments of some code files - it does not affect Muffin itself at all as comments are not compiled.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

AlbertP wrote:Those muffin commits are not too interesting, the ones from 5th February are just there for compatibility with future Cinnamon versions and not yet needed with the present Git of Cinnamon.
Good to know. 8)
And the Cinnamon work of today just edits the address of the Free Software Foundation which happens to be mentioned in the comments of some code files - it does not affect Muffin itself at all as comments are not compiled.
I saw that. Blech.
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

TheGreatSudoku wrote:I wonder if there will be repsins of the LMDE 32 and 64 bit DVDs once Cinnamon is obtainable via apt-get in LMDE
I hope so.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Todays pull breaks cinnamon-settings:

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/_gi.so: undefined symbol: g_value_set_schar
Reported on github.

:edit:

Might be caused by an update today:

python-gi:amd64 (3.0.3-3, 3.1.0-1) 
python-gi-cairo:amd64 (3.0.3-3, 3.1.0-1) 
python-gobject:amd64 (3.0.3-3, 3.1.0-1)
Confirmed fix with:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall python-gi/testing python-gi-cairo/testing python-gobject/testing
GregE

Post by GregE »

Kills Gnome Tweak Tool as well.

Xircon's fix works for Tweak Tool as well.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall python-gi/testing python-gi-cairo/testing python-gobject/testing

EDIT: All fixed with updates 10 Feb

Return to “LMDE Archive”