caffeine on LMDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

caffeine on LMDE

Postby bikepunk on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi

I'm trying to install caffeine: https://launchpad.net/caffeine on LMDE and I meet a lot of trouble since it seems this package is developed for ubuntu and not debian.

since it's not recomended to use ppa on LMDE ( viewtopic.php?f=199&t=89659&p=519506 ) I'm trying to compile caffein from sources.
see : http://www.lucidelectricdreams.com/2011 ... ra-16.html for details

for some reason I do not have glib-compile-schemas neither /usr/share/caffeine/images/ and /usr/share/caffeine/glade/

it seems compiling though but when I try to run it, I get:
Code: Select all
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'net.launchpad.caffeine' is not installed

aborting...
Aborted

I do not know python, so I actually don't really know what I am doing... Any help is very welcome. Any other way to disable the screensaver while watching streaming videos is also welcome

related topic: VLC and the screensaver on LMDE: viewtopic.php?f=190&t=56027&start=0&hilit=caffeine+lmde

PS: this is my first post on this forum.
bikepunk
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: caffeine on LMDE

Postby Arran on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 pm

Hello Frischling!!!

Kaffeine is in the Repos.
It will install a few KDE based dependencies.
Best greetings from Scotlands nicest Holiday Isle
OS: Mint12 KDE, Graphic: Nvidia I4800-GS, Monitor: HP LP2065, «Broadband» Ø 50kib/sec!!!
Arran
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bikepunk on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 am

:roll: Dude, please read my message :
kaffeine IS NOT caffeine.
I'm not interested in an other media player I just need a smart way to control the screensaver... anyone else
bikepunk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby orticultura on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 pm

I've installed without any problem caffeine-1.0.1 and it works fine. It's not the newest version.

1. Download the tarball from https://launchpad.net/caffeine
2. tar xvf caffeine-1.0.1.tar.gz && cd caffeine-1.0.1
3. sudo apt-get install python-xlib
4. python setup.py build
5. sudo python setup.py install

You should be now able to start Caffeine by typing caffeine in the command line or by clicking on Applications > Accessories > Caffeine.
When Caffeine starts, an icon of a coffee cup will appear in the task bar.

Hope it helps you
orticultura
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bikepunk on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks orticultura,

I just tried your way, it gives the same problem as in my first message, may be it's just because I didn't uninstall the unworking 2.4.1 version. I don't know how to uninstall it since is not a deb package... :?

I will contact the caffeine dev team.
bikepunk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dbkblk on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm

You just have to install gir1.2-notify-0.7 and here we go !
dbkblk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby HisDudeness on Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 am

I have installed gir1.2-notify-0.7 but still got bikepunk's same error. Then I remembered some actions I had to do about Cinnamon's applets, which had something to do with schemas. I tried that, and got more far, but still get some errors. I'm trying to install the latest version (https://launchpad.net/caffeine/2.4/2.4.1/+download/caffeine_2.4.1%2B419%7Eoneiric1.tar.gz).

The actions you have to do to get past that error are (here I'm assuming you entered into the extracted folder):

• Copy the xml you can find in some sub-directory of the recipe folder (this is the proper default name of what the tar.gz contains in 2.4.1 version... mah) into glib-2.0 schemas' one.
    sudo cp share/glib-2.0/schemas/net.launchpad.caffeine.gschema.xml /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/
  • Make glib-2.0 compile the schemas present in the folder, so that it refreshes its contents and does make a sense of the new one we just put in there
    sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

The errors I get now when trying to launch caffeine are these:
dude@susan:~/Downloads/recipe-2.4.1+419$ caffeine
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for AppIndicator3

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/caffeine", line 42, in <module>
    caffeine.main()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 527, in main
    main = GUI()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 153, in __init__
    self.ProcAdd = ProcAdd()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 102, in __init__
    "proc.glade"))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/types.py", line 43, in function
    return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
gi._glib.GError: Failed to open file '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/../../../../share/caffeine/glade/proc.glade': Permission denied

Can anyone help me with this? The last line looks like a pretty screwed up path, like he's going deep into /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine (which is an empty directory) and then going back 4 levels to get to /usr/share/caffeine/glade to open proc.glade (and caffeine/ doesn't even exist in /usr/share). What do I have to do? Does anybody know an application like caffeine which is suitable for LMDE?
The Dude minds.
HisDudeness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pclausen on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:03 am

Using MATE (1.6.0) on testing/updates and downloaded last caffine (2.4.1) from https://launchpad.net/caffeine/+download

Strangely, I can run it as root:
$ sudo caffine

But it seems a bit wrong. Running non-root which I would prefer I get these errors:
gi._glib.GError: Failed to open file '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/../../../../share/caffeine/glade/proc.glade': Permission denied

Changing the rights of that file to 644 I get this
gi._glib.GError: Failed to open file '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/../../../../share/caffeine/glade/GUI.glade': Permission denied

And then I stopped before having to change the rights of all files on /...

My question: How come these files are not readable by non-root user? Or is something wrong in the setup of caffine?
pclausen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wittyman37 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:56 pm

I am getting similar errors on LMDE when trying to compile and install caffeine 2.5. I am currently downloading a large amount of updates though, so perhaps that will help! :?
wittyman37
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wittyman37 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:09 am

I was able to get caffeine running from the terminal with sudo caffeine only from a terminal after installing gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1

I also get these errors when trying to disable the screensaver:
sudo caffeine

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 225, in on_activate_menuitem_activate
    self.toggleActivated()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 174, in toggleActivated
    self.Core.toggleActivated()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 114, in toggleActivated
    self._performTogglingActions()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 128, in _performTogglingActions
    self._toggle()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 140, in _toggle
    self.susuProxy = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver', '/org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 241, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 248, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 180, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 278, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 225, in on_activate_menuitem_activate
    self.toggleActivated()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/main.py", line 174, in toggleActivated
    self.Core.toggleActivated()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 114, in toggleActivated
    self._performTogglingActions()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 128, in _performTogglingActions
    self._toggle()
  File "/usr/local/bin/../lib/python2.7/dist-packages/caffeine/core.py", line 140, in _toggle
    self.susuProxy = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver', '/org/freedesktop/ScreenSaver')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 241, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 248, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 180, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 278, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files
wittyman37
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wittyman37 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:47 pm

While I haven't gotten caffeine to work, I have found a similar applet for Cinnamon in the Get more applets online section called "Screensaver inhibitor". I just tested it on my LMDE UP7 and the screensaver still came on. I know that on the UP7 update cinnamon desktop changed from gnome-screensaver to cinnamon-screensaver, so I think that is the problem.
wittyman37
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wittyman37 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

So I discovered that for whatever reason, when I downloaded updates, my system did not install cinnamon-screensaver! So I installed it and now the screensaver inhibitor works! :D
wittyman37
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tunist on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:50 pm

if anyone resolved this for mate edition of lmde, i'd like to know how - caffeine is useful to me and currently i cannot install due to:

ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for AppIndicator3
tunist
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Monsta on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:49 am

tunist wrote:ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for AppIndicator3

apt install gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby tunist on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:26 am

aha, great - now caffeine is installed and running. thanks so much. :)
tunist
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications