Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Important information

Postby arta on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Hello all,
I'm trying to get mpide to run on Mint Debian 64 bit without much luck. mpide is a multi platform version of the Arduino ide that will program PIC boards. There are some 32 bit files that are needed that I can not find like and
I found a how to on installing mpide but they don't say where to get the needed files.
Any help will be appreciated
I have fought reality for forty years. I have finally beaten it into submission, but it's fighting back with vigor.
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mpide

Postby xenopeek on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:47 am

Usually easiest to find these things with "apt-cache search <name>" or by searching on (and then clicking on "list files" next to the architecture package at the bottom, to confirm it will give you this file). can be found in package libelfg0 ( So just install that with your package manager of choice. Also read the package description ("apt-cache show libelfg0"); is is suggesting for development you may want to install the -dev package also.

Note that a "locate libelf" reveals libelf1 being installed (which a "dpkg -l | grep libelf" confirms), but that is something else I think?

libreadline5 and libreadline6 are installed by default, so you either need to symlink either ("sudo ln -s /lib/ /lib/", or perhaps again install the -dev package.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: mpide

Postby phgphd on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

I also wanted to run the 32-bit IDE on Ubuntu 64-bit linux. After much research and interaction with others, it is not possible to compile 32-bit applications on a 64bit linux system. Ubuntu does not allow the co-existence of 32 and 64 bit libraries. The possible work around is to install VMWare (eg, a virtual operating system manager) and 32 bit linux in a separate partition and then actually run 32 bit linux under the VM. Of course the simplest is to get a x86 box to run 32 bit linux.
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications