MInt Debian: wine issues

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mintyed

MInt Debian: wine issues

Post by mintyed »

Hi i have been having trouble installing e-sword in wine on mint debian.

i managed to install wine for lmde thanks to this tutoral click here

then i tried to install the latest e-Sword from here click here (version 10.0.7) and installed it in wine.

when i first ran e-Sword in terminal i got this
  • $ wine e-Sword.exe
    err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\media\\Data\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\media\\Data\\e-Sword\\e-Sword.exe" failed, status c0000135
so I downloaded the file MSVBVM60.DLL and copied it to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows

then ran again and got this
  • $ wine e-Sword.exe
    fixme:ole:OleLoadPictureEx (0x10ae034,276546,0,{7bf80980-bf32-101a-8bbb-00aa00300cab},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x32f94c), partially implemented.
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9c79c30d-fba0-11df-a609-0013d350667c} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9c79c30d-fba0-11df-a609-0013d350667c} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9c79c30d-fba0-11df-a609-0013d350667c} could be created for context 0x3
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9c79c30d-fba0-11df-a609-0013d350667c} could be created for context 0x3
Then I moved the file MSVBVM60.DLL to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows32
with the same error above.

I then found that the recommended wine install was broken http://imagebin.org/198999

what do i need to do to fix this. wine and e-sword work in mint and ubuntu. why cant i run the stable version of wine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
soccerz619

Re: e-Sword in wine.

Post by soccerz619 »

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you looked at Xiphos Bible Study Tool? I know it has a lot of options, and I think KJV is one of the versions you can put on there (though I highly recommend more updated, accurate translations, some of which are NOT available on there). Have a look at that. Maybe it can do what you want to natively so you don't have to run WINE
samriggs

Re: MInt Debian: e-Sword in wine.

Post by samriggs »

@soccerz619 Xiphos works perfect, I use it and so does 4 other people I know.
It has Sword as two of the repos, and it does have the KJV (the only one I use) plus a lot more and a lot of languages, plus more.
One its installed just go to edit > module manager then module sources it has four of them, two from sword you can go through them all and choose what you want included.
@mintyed you really dont need sword when you got xiphos it has pretty much the same things included, I used to use sword when on windows and now I just use xiphos instead, its pretty much the same program but just a linux version. save your self the headaches of getting the same thing through wine by just using the linux native version :D
It has some nice books you can have also, like all the works of josesphus, some finney, pilgrims progress, and strongs both hebrew and greek and the thompson chain references etc etc etc.
Hope this helps you out.
Sam
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Install the latest wine from http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

E-Sword works ok, according to Crossover it is labeled as Silver. Which means it installs and works, but does have some bugs.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

I use The Word now...used to use eSword. In order to make that work, I set up a separate config file within Wine and told it to emulate the Windows 8 OS. It works like a champ, but wouldn't on earlier versions of Windows OS emulations once it updated to a later version of Wine.

FWIW, I've use eSword and The Sword Project. The Word seems to combine the best of both and has things like David Guzik's commentaries that are excellent.

Chris
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

all good ideas but it does not help me really with wine not working.
yes i have tried some of the native linux bibles i just prefer to have the same bible on all my os.
Daboo

Post by Daboo »

Daboo wrote:In order to make that work, I set up a separate config file within Wine and told it to emulate the Windows 8 OS. It works like a champ, but wouldn't on earlier versions of Windows OS emulations once it updated to a later version of Wine.
Have you tried making a specific configuration in wine for eSword?

If not, then I suggest doing so and trying each of the different emulations for Windows that it has.

Chris
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

Daboo wrote:
Daboo wrote:In order to make that work, I set up a separate config file within Wine and told it to emulate the Windows 8 OS. It works like a champ, but wouldn't on earlier versions of Windows OS emulations once it updated to a later version of Wine.
Have you tried making a specific configuration in wine for eSword?

If not, then I suggest doing so and trying each of the different emulations for Windows that it has.

Chris

chriss its not the e-sword app its actually wine not working. see my post. wine does not install properl;y it runs with an error. its the wine version in lmde / debian testing that is having issues more than insatlling any app.

Return to “LMDE Archive”