"Del" key don't delete anymore -- Cinnamon case

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
iLobster

"Del" key don't delete anymore -- Cinnamon case

Post by iLobster »

In gnome 2.x I often used "Del" key to delete something from desktop, folders, etc and found this very useful.
After upgrading to gnome 3.2 "Del" don't del anything anymore and become totally useless. Provided shift+del combination is idiotism!

There is a solution for gnome-shell: in gconf-editor option "can_change_accels" should be put on, then in nautilus "Edit" needed key could be choosed and saved.
But as long as gnome shell is hardly usable I use Cinnamon DE. In Cinnamon that solution don't work (or I do something incorrectly) -- menu string is always gray :(
I also tried to make gtk-3.0 folder in /.config and put "gtk-can-change-accels = 1" in settings.ini but it didn't wok either.

So, how get "Del" key back :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tristan321

Re: "Del" key don't delete anymore -- Cinnamon case

Post by tristan321 »

I would appreciate this as well.

I made the mistake of upgrading LMDE to pack 4 the other day and subsequently got hit by the abortion that is Gnome 3... talk about a steaming pile. I hate this application-oriented fad in Linux desktops! If the long term goal of John McCann is "make Microsoft look less douche-y", SUCCESS COMRADE!

I've been running Cinnamon, happily for the most part, over the last couple days. So far, it is a great alternative to the G3 and Unity nonsense. However, there are still a few minor features that need to be implemented to get back the high level of productivity I was enjoying. The Del key is high on that list.
FDF

Post by FDF »

Thanks,

Work for me too.
A sum-up to avoid to follow. the link (Thanks to alllinuxstuff anyway)
step one: start the setting process. In a termnal, type:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface can-change-accels true

step two: open Nautilus (the file manager), select a file you want to delete (it is just to force the setting), click on edit menu, move the mouse over the "move to trash" option, and press the DEL key twice.
step three: Stop the setting process to avoid further unwanted changes. In a terminal, type

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface can-change-accels false
:D
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

Thanks, it works.
Strange, but as you can see I've tested that option and nothing happend.
But whatever :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”