LMDE Xfce lock-ups

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Myself

LMDE Xfce lock-ups

Post by Myself »

I am getting a lot of lock-ups after screen is turned of by PowerSaver. When I come back to use laptop I get a frozen display. Only way to recover is to hit the power button and switch off which gives loads of hard drive errors on restart. Most of the time these errors are resolved automatically but sometime it asks and I have to guess the answers. So far it has restarted okay every-time.

Specification:
LMDE Xfce 64bit, with all latest available updates.
Intel Core 2 Duo SU9300
4Gb of RAM
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD (shared memory) - this chipset runs HD vidoes okay in LMDE Xfce, sometimes a little bit jerky at 1080.

Never locked-up in horrible, nasty, boringly slow, 32 bit Windows that the manufacturer installed.
Never locked-up in over 18 months running a 32 bit fork of Mandriva.
This must be a graphics bug relating to Debian.
I hope it gets fixed soon as I really like Linux Mint, much more so than the unsupported Mandriva derivative I was running previously,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: LMDE Xfce lock-ups

Post by DataMan »

<opinion> All of the power management is flaky in Mint Debian spin 201109</opinion>

As a starting point, make sure that the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume is set to the correct uuid for the swap (sudo blkid) you are using. By default it's messed up and has to be changed. Once you change it you will also need to regenerat the initramfs (sudo update-initramfs -u).

I did all of the classic repairs on Xfce 64 bit and still couldn't get the critter to work properly. At a minimum, you will need to set the resume as outlined above.

Try at command sudo pm-hibernate and see if that gets results.

Sorry I can't offer a specific 100% fix on this naggy problem.

-DataMan
Myself

Re: LMDE Xfce lock-ups

Post by Myself »

I'm still learning Linux but from experiences with some very flaky versions of Windows I figured it was a coding/config error.

It's a pity as I tried the Gnome version for a few days before deciding I liked the look & feel of Xfce better.
I didn't have any lock-ups with Gnome version.
I really prefer the Menu layout of Xfce and it seems to run a bit faster than Gnome but that might just be my imagination as I've not timed anything.
I hate Gnome3 and the messy pull-down Menu that takes over the screen, and fact that I cannot minimise the top shelf. I'm working on a 1.3Kg, 11.6 inch screen, laptop (I had to get the lightest, smallest, most powerful, laptop that I could actually lift after being seriously injured - followed by, even worse, a very severe long illness due to really bad adverse reaction to prescribed drugs, which my Consultant at the time wished to increase the dose despite I almost dying on the dosages I was getting!!!), with not the best of eyesight, so I prefer too use the whole screen.
I have just installed Chrome 17.0.963.56 on LMDE and have difficulty in reading many websites due to small fonts and I hate the way Google Chrome have hidden the Zoom button. Prefer Firefox's way of doing it but 10.02 doesn't seem to be available in Mint or Debian Repos yet. I did get Iceweasel version 12.a2.something.

I will read some more and then try your suggestion.

Return to “LMDE Archive”