Resizing gnome-shell dash

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Resizing gnome-shell dash

Postby viking777 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm

I already know that the gnome-shell dash (ie the 'favourites' menu that appears on the left hand side of the gnome-shell overview) will automatically resize if you add or subtract new favourites. The trouble is that I have a lot of 'favourites' - 23 to be precise, and they have resized to such an extent that they are almost invisible. What annoys me is that I have at least 1 inch of spare space above the top of the dash, and at least 1.5 inches below the bottom. If I could persuade the dash to occupy the whole vertical extent of my screen (a bit like the Unity dash) I could have all the favourites I want and still be able to see the icons.

Does anyone know how to make this happen.

I have googled it for ages, but I can't find any suitable link, so I guess it just can't be done, but no harm in asking I guess.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Resizing gnome-shell dash

Postby GeneC on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Afternoon Viking.
I don't have a specific answer, but something that may help. Just this morning I found a new Gnome Shell Extension that put 'favorites' on the panel. Easier for me than the dash overview.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... menu-plus/

Gotta say I LOVE Image this extension. It made my day.

Now this may or may not help with all your many favorites, I can't try it right now. I am on my SolusOS partition (Gnome 2.3).

It may be worth a try?
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Qiana (Cinnamon)
Sparky XFCE (Debian Testing)
Sparky Gnome 3.14 (SID)
EvolveOS (Budgie)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby viking777 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks but no thanks Gene.

Overview mode is the main reason I like gnome-shell so much (you have got to see that we are very different here) I never want to see another program menu/shortcut menu in my system tray as long as I live, simply because gnome-shell's way is - for me - so superior. This is also the reason I don't give a fig for Cinnamon, Mate, Fallback, Solusos, or anything else that attempts to bring back the worst traits of Gnome and KDE.

For me tray menus are a waste of space, and overview mode (or its like) is the future, it is simply a better way to work.

Vive la difference eh!

Not worth arguing over I would say, as long as we are both happy with what we have.

Thanks for pointing out the possibility anyway.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby GeneC on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Vive la difference eh!

Absolutely.. :wink:

For me, since I found that 'favorites' extension this morning I shut off the overveiw. Just one less thing to click on for me. Turned off the "hot spot" first thing, months ago. :lol:
I don't use Cinnamon, or the MGSE menu in Shell, just the simple one (Cairo Menu) on the AWN dock, that with favorites, places, recent docs. Is all I want. I dont think we had all these choices when we ran MS Windows, did we! Gotta love it. :wink:
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Qiana (Cinnamon)
Sparky XFCE (Debian Testing)
Sparky Gnome 3.14 (SID)
EvolveOS (Budgie)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby viking777 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:32 am

No you are quite right I shouldn't be slating something that I haven't tried, although slating is a pretty strong term. I mentioned your project purely because GeneC mentioned it in the previous post, no other reason, and as you no doubt have read, I did not single it out for special treatment, I mentioned it alongside several others. However I have read your projects web pages, so I have some idea of what you are trying to do and I wish you luck with it, but it holds no interest for me precisely because I find overview mode so perfectly intuitive for my everyday desktop needs that I don't wish to turn back the clock. May others disagree, I accept that, so there is no doubt you are meeting a need, but not mine.

What was it I said?

Vive la difference!

Yeh, that was it.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Software & Applications