[SOLVED] Download in Firefox: Need to chose application

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
NRI

[SOLVED] Download in Firefox: Need to chose application

Post by NRI »

Hi!

Just downloaded UP4 on LMDE and decided to use Cinnamon as my default desktop. So far, it looks pretty good, but there is one minor annoyance that I have the hardest time finding a solution for.

Every time I am downloading a file (anything, regardless of the file extension) and want to open it with a right click of the mouse, I get this annoying message that states "This link needs to be opened with an application." and then "Send to: Choose application"

Previously, with Gnome 2 and UP3, this never happened. All I did was to right lick and the default folder (Downloads) was opened. At first, I thought that i was just my box, but when I updated another computer, the same thing happened.

Update: When I removed Firefox and installed Iceweasel, this problem no longer exists. However, since Firefox is being shipped by default, I think there should be a fix for this.

How do I get this back to my default, so I don't see this message again? the machine I am running this on is a Dell Latitude E6400

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Download in Firefox issue - Need to chose application

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
äxl

Post by äxl »

NRI wrote:open it with a right click[...]
[...]right lick and the default folder (Downloads) was opened
You just right click it and either it opens or it shows your Downloads folder?
Never heard of that. When I left click a link to an image for example it opens sure. But with right click I have to left click "Save Image As ..." and choose the download folder.

Was that maybe an add-on that doesn't work with 11.0 anymore?
Is there any content in Firefox Preferences - Applications? For me it's more than three pages.
NRI

Post by NRI »

You just right click it and either it opens or it shows your Downloads folder?
Okay, let me clarify this.

When you start the download, a pop up window shows up, telling you about the progress. Eventually, it will say "All Files have downloaded." So, in this Download window (you can manually open it up by clicking on "Firefox" -> "Downloads") - you see the file(s) that you just got. When you right click on the particular file, the options are Open, Open Containing Folder, Go to Download Page, Go to download link, Select All and Remove from List.

In the past, when I left clicked on "Open Containing Folder" my Downloads folder would open up and I can execute the file, view the image, what have you. But alas, with Gnome 3, this function apparently is no more. :(

The same problem I had when I tried out XFCE or KDE in the past I basically picked Gnome as my default desktop environment, because everything worked out of the box.

Sorry for being not clear enough earlier.
äxl

Post by äxl »

This is a Firefox specific problem.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/File_types_an ... ad_actions

I use MATE. When I right click on the file and left click on Open Containing Folder I can Choose...
To choose the application in your case you have to navigate to

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/
choose

Code: Select all

nautilus
and
Open
Tick Remember my choice for file links.
And that works for me. You can always change this behaviour in Firefox Preferences - Applications when you search for file.
NRI

Post by NRI »

That did it. Thank you very much for your help. :)
äxl

Re: [SOLVED] Download in Firefox: Need to chose application

Post by äxl »

You're welcome.
And please don't judge a DE by the applications it runs.

Return to “LMDE Archive”