Poll: Desktop environments

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Which desktop environments do you use?

Cinnamon
30%
Fluxbox, OpenBox, Blackbox, *box
3%
Gnome Fallback
3%
Gnome Shell
9%
KDE
11%
LXDE
6%
MATE
19%
Other non-listed DE (Enlightenment, Trinity, RazorQT, ROX) or not using or planning to use any of the DEs listed in this poll.
2%
Unity
4%
Xfce
13%

Total votes : 4983

Re: Poll: Desktop environments

Postby ingeva on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:49 am

Hiero2 wrote:hmmmm - seems I can't vote in the poll.
np - I can use my big mouth to announce my pref.
MATE, or xfce.

Wow! Strong words, but I really can't agree more.
I must admit that I still use Ubuntu, presently 12.04, for my server, but of course that's without any desktop. If Mint comes up with a clean server version that works well, I'll use that. I'll rather support Mint than Ubuntu.
Canonical is definitely on the wrong track, not only on the desktop side. Richard Stallman recently released an article about spy companies - and he states that Canonical now spies on its users the same way MS and Apple do.
I found the moderators of Ubuntu's forum to be arrogant and judgemental. I criticized Unity and was closed out of the forum for a while - but I never wanted to visit it again anyway! :)

I don't know which way they are going, but they seem to fall into the same trap as so many companies before them: They tend to forget to listen to their users, and think that only they know best.
inge - experienced Ubuntu & Mint user
ingeva
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby xclusive585 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:02 am

ingeva wrote:...
I must admit that I still use Ubuntu, presently 12.04, for my server, but of course that's without any desktop. If Mint comes up with a clean server version that works well, I'll use that. I'll rather support Mint than Ubuntu...

I've mentioned this same thing several times on this board. I wish they could configure apt to only select mintupdate packages, and release a no-gui Mint!!!
Please. I think it would be great!

(I too have pushed all my systems to Mint13, the only thing left with Ubuntu is my server... I wish I could proudly say I run Mint on ALL of my machines....)
-Dave

“The only way to fix Linux is to take one distro, one set of components as a baseline, abandon everything else and everyone should just contribute to this single Linux..."
xclusive585
Level 2
Level 2

Postby justy39 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 am

If cinnamon had temp in clock like mate, I would switch. That is my only hold back. I find the temp thing handy.
Odin's Oath Keepers.
justy39
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fbachofner on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:01 pm

xclusive585 wrote:I've mentioned this same thing several times on this board. I wish they could configure apt to only select mintupdate packages, and release a no-gui Mint!!!
<snip>
(I too have pushed all my systems to Mint13, the only thing left with Ubuntu is my server... I wish I could proudly say I run Mint on ALL of my machines....)

I agree!

In the meantime, just run Mint without automatically starting the MDM service. Works for me just fine on a couple machines.

The bigger "problem" is that no hosting companies have a Mint image for installation! ;-)

By the way, is this poll closed? I can't seem to vote. [I am on the most current version of Cinnamon on my desktops . . . ]
i7 self-built server and HP Pavilion DM1Z
both LinuxMint 16 with Cinnamon
fbachofner
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fbachofner on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm

justy39 wrote:If cinnamon had temp in clock like mate, I would switch. That is my only hold back. I find the temp thing handy.

There is a nice applet for this: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17

Well, justy39 . . . welcome to Cinnamon! :-)

Felix
i7 self-built server and HP Pavilion DM1Z
both LinuxMint 16 with Cinnamon
fbachofner
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pikachu6708 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm

I tried Cinnamon out in Ubuntu briefly, it's actually really nice.
Pikachu6708
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:53 am

Thank you all that voted in the poll, left comments here or on the blog, or participated in the discussions about your favorite desktop environments! As shared in May last year, the developers have listened to your opinion, and acknowledged at the time the fact that the most popular environments within our community were Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce and KDE. Going forward, they shared that they would focus primarily on these desktops. Of which Linux Mint 14 was the first proof, with the KDE and Xfce versions being released much earlier than was previously possible.

The poll had come to an end earlier already, and I think it's time now to close this topic also. It is good to see acknowledged now, even more strongly than in May last year, that these four desktop environments are still the favorite within our community. Your opinions continue to matter to the team, and your feedback on the forums, on the blog, and on the community site are all welcomed and listened to!

Perhaps another poll will be done in due time, but for now we can look forward to the upcoming LMDE ISO refresh and to Linux Mint 15 Olivia.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements