Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From Menu

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From Menu

Postby anothermuggle on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Evening All,

Not sure where this topic really belongs.

I have a HP Mini 210 netbook with LMDE installed. I can use hibernate and suspend from the Mint Menu and both work fine. However, when I press the power switch, which presents the options to hibernate, suspend, power off or cancel, if I choose either hibernate or suspend then it fails. The computer doesn't look like it does a full shutdown sequence but also don't pick up from where it left off on last boot.

Does anyone have any ideas? Where can I start looking to see what is different between choosing from the mint menu and pressing the power button?

Cheers,
Tom

EDIT: If anyone can tell me what happens when the power switch is pressed, such as what script/program is called, then it would be a huge help.
anothermuggle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From

Postby äxl on Thu May 10, 2012 6:53 am

anothermuggle wrote:The computer doesn't look like it does a full shutdown sequence but also don't pick up from where it left off on last boot.

Hm, for setup look with dconf-editor in key:
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power
Does anyone have any ideas? Where can I start looking to see what is different between choosing from the mint menu and pressing the power button?

http://letmebingthatforyou.com/?q=linux+power+button ;)
EDIT: If anyone can tell me what happens when the power switch is pressed, such as what script/program is called, then it would be a huge help.

In MATE it's running mate-session-save --shutdown-dialog
But on my PC it also runs an ACPI script so it shuts down immediately.
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Hibernate / Suspend Fails With Power Switch But OK From

Postby irianx on Fri May 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Check the ACPI scripts at /etc/acpi and /etc/acpi/events

I think you need to create an empty file /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh with execute rights for all users. Then you will "suppress" the default acpi activities (I think they are coming from Debian).
newest LMDE at asus eeepc901, stable LMDE at eeepc1215b (AMD APU), debian at server
irianx
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support