Webcam that works OOB

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
donde

Webcam that works OOB

Post by donde »

I've been using Mint Debian for a few days now, and I like it. It is running on a 64 bit Compaq tower, but choose 32 bit install.
I have Skype on it, and works fine, except Video option doesn't work with my older "Creative Instant" webcam. I've tried Cheese, it works. I've tried the fix
involving adding a line in /usr/local/bin/skype. That didn't work.

I want to buy a new medium price webcam for this OS, Mint Debian 201204. I want it to work Out of the Box. Suggestions ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BrianD

Re: Webcam that works OOB

Post by BrianD »

I have a fairly recent RocketFish HD webcam, purchased at a large box retail store a few months ago.

Here are the steps I followed to get it to work on my system (Linux Mint 12 64-bit, Gnome 3 w/MGSE):

1. Plug the USB cord from the camera into an available USB port on the computer.
donde

Post by donde »

Today, I sent for a Logitech C-200 from Amazon at $23.50. It's on the Mint 12 list of "works perfectly", I hope it includes Skype on Mint Debian..
Should get it next week. The Creative Instant I have works with XP only. Maybe someone has got it to work, but hassle seems not worth the effort.
This reminds me of the days of Wi-Fi cards and Linux. Almost impossible. But, now it seems like a no brainer, thanks the to great geeks.
donde
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

When I want a webcam, I just hunt around for any old one that says that there is no need for drivers. Without the need for drivers, it is almost certain that it will work. This is actually a double advantage for me when I'm streaming because lower resolution means better streaming without jerks or tears.
Of course if you have a very good broadband connection this will not be an issue, but I get around 150 - 200 kbps on average and I still have this problem and have to lower the resolution to get it to work well.
My usage is however only for personal reasons and there is really no need for amazing clarity. Your needs may of course be different.
äxl

Post by äxl »

donde, could you give us the device ID of you old camera? Please look into the output of:

Code: Select all

lsusb

Return to “LMDE Archive”