Mouse scroll wheel / flywheel problem and solution

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
e_scott

Mouse scroll wheel / flywheel problem and solution

Post by e_scott »

Just installed Linux Mint LMDE a few weeks ago after years of Ubuntu. Wasn't happy with the direction Ubuntu was taking but I'm thrilled with Mate desktop on LMDE. I've also long wanted to use a Debian distro for my main desktop (have used it for servers before).

All was well with my LMDE installation except I couldn't get the mouse scrolling to work. I went to edit xorg.conf and was surprised it wasn't there. Apparently there is a move away from using xorg.conf.

Anyway, the solution to my problem was to simply install xorg-xserver-input-mouse:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xorg-xserver-input-mouse 

I logged back in and the scrollwheel was working perfectly. Just wanted to pass it on...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bdsatish

Re: Mouse scroll wheel / flywheel problem and solution

Post by bdsatish »

You, my friend, saved my day. Worked well with LMDE Update Pack 6. However, it is "xserver-xorg-*" not "xorg-xserver-*". The following works:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-mouse
Dart2163

Post by Dart2163 »

I have a similar problem. The direction I move the wheel is not always the same way that the screen goes. I can dial one way and at first the screen goes in the correct direction, but if I continue dialing the same direction, then the screen stops and reverses.

I tried
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-mouse

but I just get a message saying that my computer is already "up-to-date" and therefore "no action taken."

Any help appreciated.
DenBow77

Post by DenBow77 »

Hello,
I have the same problem as Dart2163. There are no further posts. Is anyone looking at this. I have had this problem for quite a while, but assumed the problem was in the mouse itself. I borrowed my mouse for a friends' laptop: It worked perfectly - scrolling properly and without hesitation up and down. I then tried a few different mice on MY PC, and they ALL had hesitant and often reversing response to the scroll wheel.

Return to “LMDE Archive”