VGA monitor not recognized at startup

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
PetPet

VGA monitor not recognized at startup

Post by PetPet »

(Repost from the Newbies forum, because this is a hardware issue.)

I have dual monitors, one that's connected via VGA and one that's connected via DVI (using this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131765 motherboard, so two DVI's isn't an option, and my monitor doesn't have an HDMI port). The VGA monitor is never detected on startup if I have them both plugged in, and when my computer hibernates / comes back from hibernating, it is again not detected.

I'm currently using a temporary workaround of unplugging the DVI monitor on startup so that only the VGA monitor is plugged in, which makes the VGA monitor work, and then once Linux has started up I plug in the DVI monitor. After that, both monitors work exactly like I want them to. Of course, this is a pain, so I'm hoping there's a better solution out there.

Note that I tried installing the ATI proprietary drivers, which allowed me to get both monitors working, but the VGA monitors resolution was always wrong. Doing the command aticonfig --resolution=1,1920x1080 did nothing to fix it. In my attempts to 'fix' the ATI proprietary drivers I think I only rainbows up my system worse, and eventually decided to do a fresh install, which is when I came up with the unplug / replug solution. I'd really rather not go back down the rabbit hole of ATI proprietary drivers if there's a fix I can do without it.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PetPet

Re: VGA monitor not recognized at startup

Post by PetPet »

Still having this problem... Any ideas?

Return to “LMDE Archive”