LMDE1204, Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce lost VGA output

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

LMDE1204, Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce lost VGA output

Postby BillV on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 pm

I misdiagnosed a monitor problem and now unable to connect to monitor via the VGA port. I'm running an Asus M5A88-M motherboard with AMD64 bit cpu FX6100. The HDMI port is working so i can connect to the TV for troubleshooting. The computer monitor is an AOC LM942, it faulted and I thought it was something I did while creating a Unetbootin live iso (hence misdiagnosis), so went to AMD website and downloaded latest VGA drivers (the motherboard onboard graphics are ATI Radeon) which didn't fix but made matters worse (removed the Asus boot splash screen). The pc has hdmi output so can connect to TV for troubleshooting (cant afford a cheap new wide screen hdmi monitor yet folks). So I uninstalled the AMD update and installed the fxglr (or something like that) from the Software Manager repositories, but still no VGA, I keep getting the "input out of range" message on the monitor, I get the Asus splash screen at boot up back but when it starts to load LMDE1204 it then reports "input out of range". Like I said, i can use the TV monitor to troubleshoot, how do i restore the VGA to working like when i first installed LMDE1204 without having to reinstall LMDE1204? Any help is appreciated, thank you for your consideration.
-Bill
BillV
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support