[SOLVED] USB Boot Issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
David M

[SOLVED] USB Boot Issue

Post by David M »

Right now on my netbook I'm running an old Mint Debian version and I'd like to boot from my flash drive to upgrade to a newer version. However, my down arrow key doesn't work. I've been remapping it to right shift when my computer starts up using

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e 'keycode 62=Down'
My boot order is Hard Drive then USB drive. I need to be able to scroll down the menu to make the USB boot first but can't do that because down arrow hasn't been remapped. Is there another way I can do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: USB Boot Issue

Post by caf4926 »

I can't really figure out what you mean because what exactly are you modifying that can make such changes ?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Koji

Post by Koji »

There are two ways to go about it if the down arrow key is broken on your lappy and you can't press down in bios...

The hard way would be to buy an external sata kit, open up your lappy, take the hdd out, boot from your usb (no hdd connected means usb will boot), once the live usb boots plug in your hdd to an open usb port, mount it, and then install to it, turn the lappy off, put the hdd back in and you're set!

Or you can take the easy way and buy a usb keyboard and change boot order through bios using it ;)
David M

Post by David M »

Koji wrote:There are two ways to go about it if the down arrow key is broken on your lappy and you can't press down in bios...

The hard way would be to buy an external sata kit, open up your lappy, take the hdd out, boot from your usb (no hdd connected means usb will boot), once the live usb boots plug in your hdd to an open usb port, mount it, and then install to it, turn the lappy off, put the hdd back in and you're set!

Or you can take the easy way and buy a usb keyboard and change boot order through bios using it ;)
Oh duh. Didn't even think about an external keyboard and I have one in the next room. Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”