Set Device ID at boot

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Set Device ID at boot

Postby Dadzmad on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:15 pm

My problem is that when LMDE boots I get a different ID on sound & audio devices. What I want to do is to permanently set my TV tuner card as video0 and webcam as video1. Soundwise I've also got problems after reboot with the soundblaster live card, the mic on the webcam, a Samsung Meteor mic and its monitoring output. These get royally scrambled at reboot and each software setup like MythTV, GUVCviewer etc has to be reset each time. For some reason the sound output line (for headphones) gets pushed to the top most every time and ends up as default unless I unplug the unit and reboot. I've had a lot of problems with power outages this summer and this problem has come to a head.

I know this can be done with an initialization script of some sort. Can I get some help as to identifying the devices, writing the script and where to put it. I know that this involves udev and a rules file. A link to a how-to with examples will help alot. I've seen this before but can't find it today. Thanks for any advice or help.
Dadzmad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support