Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Postby fschaap on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:31 am

The situation: I need a dual boot install with Windows XP so the kids can get their GOG.com games fix. For the life of me, I cannot get XP to install with the HD in AHCI mode, despite slipstreamed drivers and what not.

I'm going to install XP on a separate 80GB conventional harddisk and run LM13 on the SSD.

The options: either shell out for a Windows 7 copy (bah!) or run the hard disks in IDE mode.

The question: are there any serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI, especially with an SSD?

Yes, I've seen the Phoronix article on IDE vs AHCI, so I expect some performance loss, but if it solves my problems, I can live with a bit of performance loss.

TIA
Linux Mint Debian Edition with Cinnamon
fschaap
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Postby Koji on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:40 pm

Not using AHCI in windows means no TRIM support (vanishing space syndrome where your available space will slowly disappear, no matter how many things you delete, till you need to reformat the drive).

Not sure how Linux handles it, later file systems (like EXT4) may have a natural means to deal with it, not positive... But they aren't windows compatible either way.
Koji
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Postby fschaap on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:04 am

Well, I'm not using the SSD in Windows, so missing TRIM in Windows is not a big problem... I think.

The dual boot is actually spread out over 2 separate drives: a conventional, rotational drive for Windows and the SSD for Linux.
Linux Mint Debian Edition with Cinnamon
fschaap
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support