Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fschaap

Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Post by fschaap »

The situation: I need a dual boot install with Windows XP so the kids can get their GOG.com games fix. For the life of me, I cannot get XP to install with the HD in AHCI mode, despite slipstreamed drivers and what not.

I'm going to install XP on a separate 80GB conventional harddisk and run LM13 on the SSD.

The options: either shell out for a Windows 7 copy (bah!) or run the hard disks in IDE mode.

The question: are there any serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI, especially with an SSD?

Yes, I've seen the Phoronix article on IDE vs AHCI, so I expect some performance loss, but if it solves my problems, I can live with a bit of performance loss.

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Koji

Re: Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Post by Koji »

Not using AHCI in windows means no TRIM support (vanishing space syndrome where your available space will slowly disappear, no matter how many things you delete, till you need to reformat the drive).

Not sure how Linux handles it, later file systems (like EXT4) may have a natural means to deal with it, not positive... But they aren't windows compatible either way.
fschaap

Re: Serious downsides to using IDE over AHCI with SSD?

Post by fschaap »

Well, I'm not using the SSD in Windows, so missing TRIM in Windows is not a big problem... I think.

The dual boot is actually spread out over 2 separate drives: a conventional, rotational drive for Windows and the SSD for Linux.

Return to “LMDE Archive”