Sound and other problems after home reform

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sound and other problems after home reform

Postby HisDudeness on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:09 am

Not sure if I should post this here, in sound section or in upgrade section. Or in newbie, as far as I'm concerned. Hope I did the right guess.

I used to have a giant home-dedified partition standing aside my system one. It was formatted in ext4, as on this laptop I did not mean to use Windows or such. But not long ago my plans changed, both for games I used to play when I was little (midlife crisis' nostalgia, you know) and for some things I still can't do on Linux I decided to install Windows on another partition.

For long time I stayed with my ext4 Storage partition, using it also with Windows thanks to ext2fs drivers. But later on, not being able to write in my biggest partition from that Operating System became quite unbearable, so I brokenheartedly decided to turn it into NTFS. I backupped all content, formatted it, copied all back and modified fstab.

Now I have some problems, don't know if they are all linked, but they are sure caused by this operation I did.

• Every time I log in I get the common .dmrc problem

User’s $HOME/.dmrc” file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permission. User $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users

I tried dealing with it by the usual commands you use in those cases

Code: Select all
    sudo chown dude:dude ~/.dmrc
    sudo chmod 644 ~/.dmrc
    sudo chown dude:dude home/dude

Whereas obviously dude is my username. No such luck, everything remains owned by root. I tried logging in as root and change it with Nemo's proprieties popup. I select dude from context cascade menu, the very next second root comes back. I modify anything, such as removing executing privileges, the very next second the checkbox re-checks itself.
  • My sound control applet has disappeared. I tried removing it and placing it back to no avail. It turns out I can't control audio anymore. My Fn+F10/11/12 keys do not work anymore, not popping up a change, neither doing it. I opened audio settings, no hardware is selectable/detected. But audio itself works, it is at very low level but it ouputs correctly

System specifications and things worth of further notice:

I have LMDE installed from 201204 ISO image, meaning I have the double DE setup: I currently use Cinnamon, heavily customized.
I am on an ASUS U36SG laptop, if some hardware specification ambiguities need to be clarified, ask me.
While I was backupping all my home partition content onto an external HDD, I received some privileges and permission errors that wouldn't allow me to copy all keyrings file, so now I miss them. Everytime I log in, I'm asked sooner or later to input my password for keyrings. I'm trying to understand what action causes that request.
I copied all my files while inside my LMDE system, formatted and copied back on a USB with LMDE Live on (USed GParted).

Thanks to anyone helping and ask me if further specific infos are needed.
The Dude minds.
HisDudeness
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sound and other problems after home reform

Postby karlchen on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:50 am

Hello, HisDudeness.

You must not move the /home subfolder tree to a partition which uses NTFS. The /home folder tree has got to be located on a partition which uses a Linux filesystem, preferrably ext4.
The reason is pretty simple - and you are experiencing why using NTFS does not work: NTFS filesystems use a totally different set of access privileges from Linux filesystems.
So as long as you insist on putting /home on an NTFS or FAT32 filesystem there is no solution to your problem. <period>

Kind regards,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby HisDudeness on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 am

Bloody hell! So Windows and Linux coexistence is a lie... I have everything I need in my home folder... music, videos, documents... that means it needs some extra space as it is gonna expand continuously. So I must make it the biggest partition in my HDD. But that means that Windows should have read-write powers too. What can I do? Must I move my home in my system partition and use my NTFS one as Documents ecc. container making symbolic links in it for my home? There isn't any way to use a real home folder instead of a fake one?
The Dude minds.
HisDudeness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 am

Hello, HisDudeness.

Co-existence of Windows and Linux on the same machine is not a lie. It can be achieved pretty easily by following a few simple rules:
  • You will need a minimum of 3 separate disk partitions, 2x NTFS formatted, 1x ext4 formatted.
  • Keep the Windows operating system and the Windows software on a dedicated disk partition, filesystem NTFS.
  • Keep the Linux operating system and the Linux software on a dedicated disk partition, filesystem ext4.
  • Keep the Windows users' profile folders on a Windows partition, filesystem NTFS.
  • Keep the Linux users' profile folders on a Linux partition, filesystem ext4.
  • Create another NTFS partition which will serve as the common data partition for files created by you on Windows or on Linux.
    Store data files which you create and which you want to work on either on Windows or on Linux on this disk partition.
    Windows and Linux can read and write on NTFS partitions.
    Only Linux will ignore any NTFS access privileges which will be valid only on Windows. Therefore on Linux always mount the NTFS parition under the user account who is going to read/write data on the NTFS partition (Nautilus, Nemo, Thunar, Caja will automatically do so if instructed to access an NTFS partition.)
  • Never ever put the Linux /home folders or the Windows users' profile folders on the NTFS partition which serves as the common data storage.
One more caveat:
Windows does not care about capitalization in filenames and foldernames, Linux does. So do not create filenames and foldernames on Linux which differ only in capitalization. Windows cannot tell them apart.
Pay attention not to create filenames and foldernames on the common data partition which Linux considers valid, but Windows won't. E.g. filenames and foldernames on Windows must not and cannot enclose colons (:).

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Postby HisDudeness on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks for your tips, they're really useful, and I'm sorry for the delay. Shortly after my last post I left on a very brief vacation and forgot about that problem. Now it came to mind again as everything inside the big NTFS partition is root owned and I must get administrator privileges to do even the most basic edited of already existing files, even if I can put everything inside the partition without any problem.

Can anyone help me on this? As some files inside it are pretty much fundamental, I have that partition automounted at startup on fstab this way:
# /dev/sda3
UUID=27866BBA2655794E /media/Storage ntfs rw 0 0

The partition is in fact mounted with read/write access, but the files inside it are all root-owned, I can't modify any of them as a plain user, and I can't trash them, only directly delete them permanently, and I can't change ownership nor permissions on them via the classic chown/chmod commands. I mean, I address them succesfully, it take its time to change all files, but then everything remains the way it was.
The Dude minds.
HisDudeness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Hello, HisDudeness.

I cannot really reproduce the problem.
I used your mount options and mounted /dev/sda1, UUID=9EC88A65C88A3B91, Windows drive C:, here using this commandline:
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g -o rw,0,0 -U 9EC88A65C88A3B91 /media/Storage

Note:
This corresponds to the /etc/fstab entry
UUID=9EC88A65C88A3B91 /media/Storage ntfs-3g rw 0 0

Note, too, that I changed the filesystem type from ntfs to ntfs-3g, because "man mount.ntfs" and "man 8 mount" both suggested the right name for NTFS filesystems were ntfs-3g.
Also tried
sudo mount -t ntfs -o rw,0,0 -U 9EC88A65C88A3B91 /media/Storage
Had exactly the same effect. So ntfs and ntfs-3g seem to be equivalent.

Anyway, of course, all objects on Windows drive C:, Linux device /dev/sda1, mount point /media/Storage, are owned by root, group root.
Yet, the permissions are always set like this:
+ folders: drwxrwxrwx, i.e. full access for user root, group root, all other users
+ files: -rwxrwxrwx, i.e. full access for user root, group root, all other users
As a consequence when I access any of the objects on Windows drive C:, Linux device /dev/sda1, mount point /media/Storage, I have got the same permissions as user root and there is no need to prefix sudo or gksu to any command at all.
Sample folder listing illustrating that all others will have got all access privileges:
$ ls -al /media/Storage/Temp/*.log
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root   1734 Sep 18 17:10 /media/Storage/Temp/JavaDeployReg.log
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root   1539 Aug 15 10:35 /media/Storage/Temp/mavcperf-setup.log
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  36322 Sep 18 14:14 /media/Storage/Temp/MpCmdRun.log
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root      0 Sep 25 00:23 /media/Storage/Temp/reboot_file.log
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root   1223 Aug  2 10:17 /media/Storage/Temp/StructuredQuery.log
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 416272 Sep 30 19:53 /media/Storage/Temp/tcftp800.log
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root 246274 Sep 18 09:47 /media/Storage/Temp/VaultCachePH_001.log
-rwxrwxrwx 2 root root   2716 Sep 18 17:16 /media/Storage/Temp/Xming.0.log

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Hardware Support