Category for bug report about suspend on LMDE?

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Category for bug report about suspend on LMDE?

Postby quixote on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I have a 32-bit LMDE testing (squeeze) with -pae kernel (3.2.0.4, I think) with Mate running on an old HP Ideapad S12. The Broadcom wireless and the Nvidia graphics were both pains, but expected pains. I followed the Debian wiki and they're both sorted out.

But I could not get suspend to work. (The only thing missing for a complete throwback to the Good Old Days would have been for cups not to work either!) The Debian wiki said to uninstall hal. So I tried that, but still no suspend.

On the ubuntu forums I found a workaround that actually gives me suspend functionality by unloading usb modules from the kernel. (There's a bit more detail about these fixes in a post I wrote, in case anyone has the same problems.)

Okay, so my question is this: it seems like a bug, so it seems like I should file or add to an existing report. But I don't know enough about it to know where to start. Could it actually be a kernel bug? Is that where I should start looking for earlier reports? Or is there some other way I can better bring this bit of info to the attention of someone who can use it?
quixote
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Category for bug report about suspend on LMDE?

Postby caf4926 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:10 am

It does concern the kernel
Though it begs the question of what other versions have you tried (perhaps with newer kernels)

And FYI - some hardware is just a blugger
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby quixote on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:15 am

I had Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 on there, and the kernel was 2.6.something. A regression of some sort, I guess.
quixote
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caf4926 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:25 am

quixote wrote:I had Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 on there, and the kernel was 2.6.something. A regression of some sort, I guess.

Right, so it has worked before.
Then it should again. But I'm zero use here because I have little experience on this subject. But personally, I'd have experimented with different distros/flavours/kernels...

Mint 13 Mate might work differently than LMDE
Xubuntu 12.04_3 might .....etc...

Or you can work with your bug reporting
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Postby quixote on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Sounds like the good people of Debian are aware of it: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2012/12/msg00237.html

They don't mention a workaround or patch, though. So for now it's Dias's / brocktice's script on the ubuntuforums linked above, or no suspend, at least on the old hardware.

I only found that bug thingy on the list once I knew exactly which terms to search for, and I only knew that after I had the workaround. Google is not your friend at all!
quixote
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support