Brother DCP J315W

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Brother DCP J315W

Postby Minzen on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:38 pm

I use LMDE Mate and I want to install my printer "Brother DCP J315W" but unfortunately I haven't been able to successfully install it.
Firstly, I went to CUPS (http://localhost:631) and I tried to install this modell but it wasn't listed on the list with all other brother models :(
So I downloaded the cupswrapper folder (format: rpm) from http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... #DCP-J315W and during the installation process at CUPS I selected the ppd-file. However, I'm not able to print or scan and now I found this error message at http://localhost:631/printers/:
▼ Queue Name ▼ Description Location Make and Model Status
Brother_DCP-J315W Brother DCP-J315W Brother DCP-J315W CUPS Idle - "File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperdcpj315w" not available: No such file or directory"

Thanks in advance for your help because without it I can't use this printer
Minzen
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Brother DCP J315W

Postby cwsnyder on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Why did you download the RPM format driver instead of the .DEB format driver? Mint does not handle RPM files well, and can't use them at all without translation?

Go back and download the .deb versions of the LPR-driver and CUPS-wrapper driver, then follow the instructions link under the table for installation instructions, with separate installation instructions for both packages, following the Debian/Ubuntu (dpkg) instructions. Follow all of the links, there may be additional packages which the printer driver is dependent upon.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Minzen on Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:53 am

Now I've installed both of the driver packages with the instructions and now I can print. However, I restarted my system and I couldn't see my printers (in LibreOffice) -> couldn't print anything.
So I restarted CUPS with:
Code: Select all
sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart

Is there the possibility of solving this problem or adding this code to the autostart?

Another problem is that I still can't scan documents (with SimpleScan). How can I use this function of my printer?
Minzen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cwsnyder on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:52 pm

On your first problem, printing that requires a CUPS restart after a system restart when CUPS was restarted as part of the system restart, I am baffled. That indicates that the CUPS system is corrupted during the startup process, but where, I have no idea. If it is a Brother driver problem with the Mint startup process, that may also be causing the problem with the scanner driver. It doesn't help that Ubuntu/Mint uses upstart, AFAIK, while Debian is still using sysvinit, while Fedora/SuSE/RedHat and most of the rest of the distros use systemd for their startup.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Minzen on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:27 pm

1)
The problem disappeared with this "solution":
I opened the window with all the service, which will be started at the systemstart. There I deselected CUPS, restarted the system, selected CUPS again, restarted again --> and IT WORKED! :)
I don't know what the bug was but now it's working.

2)
I still can't use the scanner. In the meanwhile I've installed the Brother scanner driver (http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ype2=-1#92)
This shows which drivers are installed at the moment:
Code: Select all
XXX@XXX ~ $ sudo dpkg  -l  |  grep  Brother
[sudo] password for XXX:
ii  brscan3                                       0.2.11-4                          i386         Brother Scanner Driver
ii  dcpj315wcupswrapper                           1.1.3-1                           i386         Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii  dcpj315wlpr                                   1.1.3-1                           i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
ii  printer-driver-ptouch                         1.3-6                             i386         printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
XXX@XXX ~ $

Furthermore, I opened SimpleScan and I can choose the Brother DCP315W in the configuration but then it tells me that it can't connect to it.
Do you have any other hints to fix this problem?
Minzen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Minzen on Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:04 pm

I have to post again.
Is there anyone of you who has the same printer as I have and who is able to use the scanner of it?
It is really frustrating that I can't use it although I've installed all these drivers.

I would be very thankful for every kind of help :)
Minzen
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support