SOLVED - Card reader does not recognize card change anymore

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

SOLVED - Card reader does not recognize card change anymore

Postby Hansl on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:15 am

Since some recent LMDE update, my USB card reader does not recognize insertion of a memory card change anymore. Previously on insertion of a card it was automounted.
This seems to be with some change at Debian's udev; I have the same problem with a fresh clean Debian server install (openSuse did it).
If I unplug and replug the card reader's USB cable, the card is recognized, but that is impractical with my desktop's built in reader.
Knowing that the reader will be mounted as sdc, a
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdc
or a
sudo touch /dev/sdc
triggers udev mounting the card.
I found http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/38582/udev-triggers-are-not-firing-on-insert-of-cf-card-into-usb-card-reader-anymore which seems to pinpoint the problem:
cat /sys/block/sdc/events_poll_msecs
returns -1. But its solution doesn't work for me, probably because currently no udev rule seems to set events_poll_msecs at all, so its second line does not fire, if I understand the rules right.

Any help? What has changed, and how do I set up polling again?

Thanks, Hans
Last edited by Hansl on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hansl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Card reader does not recognize card change anymore

Postby Monsta on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:11 am

People are suggesting various things to fix it. Check these threads, maybe some of them will help:

viewtopic.php?f=191&t=146048
viewtopic.php?f=199&t=146757
viewtopic.php?f=198&t=147101#p780888
viewtopic.php?f=191&t=153391#p797835
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Card reader does not recognize card change anymore

Postby Hansl on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:57 am

SOLVED — thank you, monsta!  Your last link led me to http://ignorantguru.github.io/udevil/#polling which advised to set up (as root) a udev rule:
echo 'ACTION=="add", ATTR{removable}=="1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}=="-1", ATTR{events_poll_msecs}="2000"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/61-removable-storage-polling.rules

That's basically the same solution I tried before.  I did reload the udev rules with
udevadm control --reload-rules

but did not realize before that the new rules were only applied to my card reader after replugging its USB (or rebooting in case of the built-in reader)!  This also cured my Debian server.  Now I would just like to know what caused the kernel polling to disappear in LMDE… gvfs 1.16 from Update Pack 7, as some suspect?

Thanks, Hans
Hansl
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED - Card reader does not recognize card change anym

Postby Monsta on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 am

Maybe it's gvfs again, it seems to affect a lot of things. If it's the case, downgrading it would also solve the problem, but I'm not sure.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Hardware Support