Graphics card problem with sleep/wake up - RADEON HD 4870

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Tunnelrat81

Graphics card problem with sleep/wake up - RADEON HD 4870

Post by Tunnelrat81 »

I've had this problem with every single distro that I've tried on this machine. I've tried Ubuntu, Mint KDE, Mint Cinnamon, OpenSUSE 13.1, Pinguy 13.1, and now Mint 16 Debian Edtion etc. and get the same result.

I can get the computer to fully sleep (fans shut down etc,) AND wake up just fine while running live cd's or USBs. The minute I do a full install, not only does the computer not fully sleep (monitor goes dark, but case fans stay on etc.), but when I wake it up, the display is completely garbled. Colors all wonky, big blocky pixels, and stuff in the wrong places. I can almost discern where things are because they sometimes show up as a contrasting color or texture, but it's not even remotely readable or recoverable. I assume this is a graphics card problem, but I'm confused why I don't seem to have a problem at all with it when I'm running the OS from CD or USB. Any ideas?

Although I've been using linux off and on for a few years, I'm still a linux noob, so if you need me to print some scripts, you'll have to help me with commands. This is our main computer, and I've been able to set up linux OS on a separate HDD and run it side by side with my Windows 7 OS, but this computer spends lots of it's time sleeping, so not having the option to sleep linux is a no-go for me. We don't replace computers often around here, so I'd prefer not to wait until we need to upgrade to something different in order to get linux working, that could be 4 more years.

-Jeremy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NeoGeo64

Re: Graphics card problem with sleep/wake up - RADEON HD 487

Post by NeoGeo64 »

I've had the same issue. No one else has?

Return to “LMDE Archive”