SOLVED: can't print after Oneiric->LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
TomRoche

SOLVED: can't print after Oneiric->LMDE

Post by TomRoche »

summary: Brother HL2270-DW laser printed from Oneiric. After fresh install of LMDE-201403-UP8, CUPS sees the printer but can't print to it.

details:

I wanted to port a friend's desktop from Oneiric to LMDE. After a difficult start I've got most functionality restored, and in some cases improved. (LMDE *definitely* supports cinnamon better than Oneiric did.) One main problem remains: the printer.

This Brother HL2270-DW laser printed normally from the same desktop (except on Oneiric, a few days ago), so I'm pretty sure the printer is OK. The printer has a wired ethernet connection to a router to which the desktop connects wirelessly:
  1. that topology is unchanged from before
  2. the desktop can network via that SSID, so the desktop<->router connection seems OK
  3. CUPS on the desktop sees the networked printer, so the printer<->router connection seems OK
I was able to install the printer drivers easily using Brother's new bash script=`Linux-brprinter-installer` (see the driver page), except that the script, on trying to print a test page (at end of its run) failed to find `lpr`.

I installed `lpr`, then started CUPS and did menu>Printers>HL2270DW. CUPS showed connection='usb:/dev/usb.lp0' so (still in CUPS) I did Administration>Modify Printer and changed connection to "Discovered Network Printers=Brother HL-2270DW series". I then (still in CUPS) did HL2270DW>Maintenance>Print Test Page and got error=connecting-to-device :-(

I tried restarting the printer (no change) and restarting the desktop (ditto). What to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TomRoche

solved! using connection=dnssd

Post by TomRoche »

Thanks to help from Brother Bob, I was able to get my GF's Brother HL-2270DW not only printing but duplexing, despite my previous broken install. See successful install procedure at this post to the OpenPrinting forum.
bobww99
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED: can't print after Oneiric->LMDE

Post by bobww99 »

Hi Tom,
Your presentation is a masterpiece. GREAT JOB. I hope it helps others to Brother print with all the intended features of the printer.
Brother Bob

Return to “LMDE Archive”