nvidia driver/kernel problem

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

nvidia driver/kernel problem

Postby nobodynoze on Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:03 am

Can anyone confirm what combination of driver and kernel one should run with OLDER cards?!?

I have a Geforce gtx 7950GT and I decided to run the most up-to-date driver that supposedly can run with this card. It's ver. 304.1210.

There's nothing on the site that states that you need certain kernel versions or that it's not supported with X ver. of kernels. I am using: 3.11. I'll have to check, exactly, as I logged in a different OS at the moment.

Btw, someone should tell Nvidia that they have the wrong links - they have the opposite ones - when you click x86, you get the link to the x64 driver. Really smart, guys.

Anyway, I got the message:

For some distributions, Nouveau can be disabled by adding a file in the modprobe configuration directory. Would you like the nvidia-installer to attempt to create the modprobe file for you.

I clicked 'YES.'

It created a file: /etc/modprob.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

I'm just mentioning this because I was wondering if this is an okay method to use to disable nouveau.

Anyway, it wouldn't continue the install because of the aformentioned kernel version problem.

So, I am wondering what combination would work? Do I have to use a previous nvidia driver ver. (I know, I could have used the repo ver. but my system was hosed earlier and I purged all nvidia stuff to start over).

I think I can't upgrade the kernel because I'll just have the same problem? So, either previous Nvidia driver or new Nvidia card or new AMD card? Can anyone help? :-/
nobodynoze
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support