Suspend Intermittently Crashing X/MATE

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Suspend Intermittently Crashing X/MATE

Postby artsjs on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:43 pm

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop running LMDE (MATE edition, 64bit) and have a seemingly unusual problem regarding suspend (S3).

About half of the time, when I put my laptop into suspend, it enters S3 fine and wakes up fine later. The other half of the time either X or MATE (not sure) crashes, such that when I resume I am left with a blank grey desktop background and blank panels. I can sometimes see other blank grey boxes in place of the applications I had open.

In this state I am able to move the mouse, but right and left clicking does nothing and neither does the computer power button (set to cause a shutdown). I can recover from this state using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, and can switch to virtual terminals with Ctrl+Alt+F2 (say).

The computer enters this state before entering S3, as when it happens I see the blank desktop and panels appear before the screen goes black and the laptop enters S3. Sometimes I get the blank panels and the suspend process stops and the laptop does not enter S3. I am getting this when entering S3 by the MATE menu, by a suspend hotkey on my keyboard and by closing the laptop lid.

Any ideas what is going on and what I could do to fix it? I suspected a hardware failure and have done full HDD and memory tests, but these came out clear.

Edit: Done some more playing around, and if I disable locking the screen when the screensaver activates (which also disables locking the screen on suspend) the problem goes away. If I suspend and resume a few times, then lock the screen I get the crash.

Edit 2: I have now verified that this occurs with a live USB boot, so it's not caused by something I've done. It does not however occur on a different laptop.

Edit 3: The .xsession-errors log file gives the following immediately upon the crash:

(mate-screensaver:3104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(mate-screensaver:3104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_alloc_colors: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed

(mate-screensaver:3104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(mate-screensaver:3104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_set_background: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(mate-screensaver:3104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_clear: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(mate-screensaver:3104): Gdk-WARNING **: /tmp/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.24.22/gdk/x11/gdkdrawable-x11.c:952 drawable is not a pixmap or window

(mate-screensaver:3104): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_set_cursor: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Edit 4: As a temporary workaround, I have replaced mate-screensaver with xscreensaver.
artsjs
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support