cinnamon crashes with fglrx driver install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
happenstance1

cinnamon crashes with fglrx driver install

Post by happenstance1 »

Having BIG troubles!

I have a HP g6 pavilion with an amd a4 apu with integrated radeon graphics. Installed mint 15 with cin. 1.8 and installed the fglrx driver ( it was the latest version when LM 15 came out) worked great.

Then I scratched LM 15 for LMDE (whatever the first release in 2014 was, had the EUFI compatible iso file). Tryed installing the fglrx driver on cin. 2.0, but after reboot cin. crashed.

Since then I've tried installing pure Debian wheezy with fglrx driver, gnome crashes; Ubuntu latest stable release with the fglrx driver, unity and gnome crashed; LM 16 with the fglrx driver, cin. 2.0 crashes. Used DBAN to wipe my HD and installed LMDE fresh with fglrx 14.4.2 driver, cin. 2.0 crashes.

Help please! This is a nightmare! :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: cinnamon crashes with fglrx driver install

Post by kurotsugi »

don't use fglrx?

anyway, please run 'inxi -Fxz' and tell us the result. it will help us to identify your problem.
happenstance1

Post by happenstance1 »

Code: Select all

CPU: Dual core: AMD A4-4300M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 9981.84 ...

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7420G] bus-ID: 00:01.0 X.org: 1.14.3 driver: fglrx tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Is that what you needed?

What would you recommend besides fglrx?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

if you're not a gamer then the open source driver is will do the job. simply uninstall fglrx then reboot. the good news, although I haven't checked it yet, but if your card (Radeon HD 7420G) is supported with the fglrx version then you might still can use it with several adjustment on X configuration. the sad news, I can't help you further to debug X and fix the issue since it's out of my capability. my best recommendation is to use the open source driver.
happenstance1

Post by happenstance1 »

I'm a web developer and 2D/3D designer; I need fglrx if possible, but will settle for the open source driver if necessary. Thanks for your help.

I have considered uninstalling fglrx and installing the open source driver.

Would still like to go on with fglrx though. Someone know what I need to do from here?

Return to “LMDE Archive”