shutdown exits into a restart

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
colcli

shutdown exits into a restart

Post by colcli »

I have installed LMDE64+mate without problems on various hardware. Now I am using a Zotac Zbox nano AQ02 with AMD A6-5545M. The one problem I have is that when I shutdown the system then starts a reboot. If I open a terminal and enter "shutdown now -H" the system shuts down!

Any suggestions welcome!

colcli
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: shutdown exits into a restart

Post by gtsfer »

I ran into this exact scenario once with LMDE and a few other distros. Did you by any chance install some extra packages or is this a clean install with no other software added? There is one I have in mind that I opened a bug up on Launchpad that caused this issue.
colcli

Post by colcli »

Hallo gtsfer
Thanks for the response.
This a clean installation, nothing changed or added!

Regards colcli
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Ok, without even getting into specifics about your system yet, do you still have the LMDE live DVD or USB that you installed with? Boot up in live mode, see if it works from that session. It will prompt you to remove the media first, but see if it does a shutdown.
colcli

Post by colcli »

When I boot from a live USB-stick (LMDE or Wheezy or PointLinux) and shutdown, the system shuts down and stays down.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

I did some searching with Google using this "shutdown does restart site:forums.linuxmint.com" and ran across a few possibilities. Mounted shares or attached network drives can cause this. There was also one reference to a particular USB hub that did t as well. But there was nothing about a clean install on a basic system that was much help. My experience (mentioned in my first post) was with a plug-in for Banshee called "tangerine". I installed it for music sharing and it caused this exact same symptom. Removing it fixed my issue and I opened a bug on launchpad for it some time ago.

Since none of these seem to fit your case, you might try creating a new user. Do a hard shutdown and boot up/log in to that user and try it out there as a test. If that fails, there may be something in the system logs that could help. I'm not seeing yet why a clean install with no additional software should cause this.
colcli

Post by colcli »

Thanks for the feedback!

In the meantime...
I have ofcourse checked with Zotac technical support, there seems to be no anaomalies in the bios setup.
I have the following three linux systems based on Debian testing installed on Acer and Asus:
1. Debian Jessie, kernel 14.x
2. Pointlinux, kernel 11.x
3. Mint LMDE, kernel 11.x
On the mentioned hardware there are no problems with the shut-down behaviour.

I have installed the same three systems on the Zotac ZBox. 1. and 2. work correctly. 3. LMDE, has the problem with shutting down into restart!
Based on this the problem could be either a needed bios update or the Mint specific software. Ishan't spend any more time on this and will use debian Jessie for this application.

Thanks again, colcli
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

colcli wrote:I have ofcourse checked with Zotac technical support, there seems to be no anaomalies in the bios setup.
I have the following three linux systems based on Debian testing installed on Acer and Asus:
1. Debian Jessie, kernel 14.x
2. Pointlinux, kernel 11.x
3. Mint LMDE, kernel 11.x
On the mentioned hardware there are no problems with the shut-down behaviour.

I have installed the same three systems on the Zotac ZBox. 1. and 2. work correctly. 3. LMDE, has the problem with shutting down into restart!
Based on this the problem could be either a needed bios update or the Mint specific software. Ishan't spend any more time on this and will use debian Jessie for this application.
I guess I would have to agree, but haven't a clue as to why it's only with LMDE only either. If you ever get a chance, maybe mark this one CLOSED since it's not resolved by any means.

That's a really cool looking little box by the way. The specs are pretty decent for such a compact unit.
colcli

Post by colcli »

CLOSED

Return to “LMDE Archive”