nvidia gpu not performing close to windows

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
neogenesisrevo

nvidia gpu not performing close to windows

Post by neogenesisrevo »

I have two 9800gtx cards. I do everything in linux the only thing I do in windows is play one game... dota 2. I installed the latest nvidia drivers (340) and it's being used (I checked with lsmod) and black listed the nouveau. In windows dota 2 gets about 40-50 fps and max graphic levels (including SLI). In linux I'm lucky if I get to 30 fps. But even if I get to 30 fps in just a few minutes it drops to under 10. Also enabling SLI in the xorg.conf file messes the screen up. I'm not even sure if I can call it tearing. Also if I go into SLI mode my other monitor isn't used and the 1st monitor goes into like mosaic mode (even though mosaic is turned off) and displays both screens on the same screen.

I noticed something strange. If I pause the game and make changes to the options and then switch back (for example change the resolution and then switch it right back) the fps goes back up to 30.

Also I disconnected the 2nd monitor and enabled SLI just to test the frame rates but its still at 30fps. I've messed with vsync/vblock both in the game and in the nvidia-server-settings but it honestly doesn't help.

Please help, I want to rid myself of the microsoft ball and chain. Is there anything I can do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: nvidia gpu not performing close to windows

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

you will probably have more chances posting here
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/ ... untu_1404/

Also check your kernel version a lot of people reported better SLI performance with 3.15

Code: Select all

uname -a

Return to “LMDE Archive”