Should I do a fresh install if I change the motherboard?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Should I do a fresh install if I change the motherboard?

Post by Christof999 »

Hi,

My MB is on the way out but I just did a fresh LMDE install. Its running great and Id hate to have to redo all this work.

If I change the MB out (everything else will be the same for the record) should I redownload the livecd and do a fresh install or can I simply swap the motherboard out with no problems?

Thanks to everyone for their help and patience.

Christof
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Should I do a fresh install if I change the motherboard?

Post by vincent »

This isn't Windows, where you would have to do so; Linux is very adaptable and versatile, and for the most part, if you change the hardware on your system, Linux should be able to recognize it and still function correctly (unless it's the latest cutting-edge hardware, in which case support for it on Linux may be hit and miss for a while, even if you install the most recent kernel). Don't just take my word for it though; make sure your new motherboard supports Linux (try to check with the hardware vendor). Equally important is to make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the rest of your existing hardware, but that's pretty much taken for granted if you want to change your motherboard.

Return to “LMDE Archive”