Suspend not working on sony vaio.

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Suspend not working on sony vaio.

Postby smoosh on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:49 am

So, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-fw139e (with the 16.4" screen), with ATI graphics (Radeon HD 3400 series), and am having bizarre suspend issues: WIthout modification after fresh LMDE install, the computer suspends, but will not resume - the screen does not turn back on. Caps lock does not light up if I press the caps key, and I CAN'T use Alt+Prt Sc+REISUB to restart. Also, the fan begins running at full blast. I decided to try what worked with ubuntu 10.04, which was:

Code: Select all
add the following line to /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules (you may have to create it)

SUSPEND_MODULES="video"

Well, it works now, but only if I resume right away (within a few seconds of the power light beginning to flash in orange). If I wait even thirty seconds, the screen stays black, no caps lock light, the fan does kick in, but I CAN use Alt+Prt Sc+REISUB to restart. Weird, right?!

With Ubuntu 10.10, suspend works perfectly every time. This is the last issue (HA, I think) keeping me from switching over to LMDE for daily use.

Any ideas? I searched for LMDE suspend issues but found next to nothing, so I'm assuming it's working for most users?

Thanks!
smoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suspend not working on sony vaio.

Postby blowtorch on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Ya I also have suspend issuses with debian where as ubuntu works fine. Mine is different though its the btusb suspend/resume bug.
blowtorch
Level 3
Level 3

Postby smoosh on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Guess I ain't switchin yet!
smoosh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alirezaimi on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:38 am

Hi
I use LMDE and i have same problem.
When i turn on my laptop after suspend , that turn on perfectly sometimes and doesn't turn on sometimes,when doesn't turn on ,the screen doesn't turn back in.
any ideas??
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rdonnelly on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:07 am

alirezaimi wrote:Hi
I use LMDE and i have same problem.
When i turn on my laptop after suspend , that turn on perfectly sometimes and doesn't turn on sometimes,when doesn't turn on ,the screen doesn't turn back in.
any ideas??

Try CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to log out, it works for me. I added myself to your bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/746711
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 KDE Plasma 4.10.5
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Hardware Support