ATI and compiz

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Cobalt60

ATI and compiz

Post by Cobalt60 »

Hello everyone. This is my first post on a Linux Mint forum. Ive been using solely Debian Stable for the past year, and before that dual booting Debian and Windows, using Debian fairly often. Well, after Mint came out with LMDE, I decided to finally give Mint (another) try, especially since I wanted to try a rolling distro. Gotta say, I am very impressed, compared to regular Debian, each has their strengths and weaknesses.

Anyway, just wanna try to get Compiz working. I see there are guides on getting it working with Intel and nVidia cards, but not ATI, so I dont know how useful those guides would be for me. I am currently using the fglrx driver, and Catalyst Control Center seems to be working flawlessly. The card I am using is a Radeon 4850/1GB.

Well, thanks for any help.

-Chris P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
conslie

Re: ATI and compiz

Post by conslie »

Not on LMDE now (I couldn't figure out how to get one proprietary must-have working), but when I tried it I recall a similar problem. Checked the same set of favored effects as are now checked in LM10, but nothing worked. The solution was to also check Effects/Animations and maybe Animations Add-On.

Try that, and if it doesn't help, at least this will kick up the question.
lepadatu.lucian

Post by lepadatu.lucian »

Hy. Chris, did you start your compiz with "compiz --replace" ? if not, give it a go.
Cobalt60

Post by Cobalt60 »

"compiz --replace" did it. Thanks much!

-Chris P
Cobalt60

Post by Cobalt60 »

OK I gotta ask, since Compiz seems to slow down my 3D games. How can I disable it after it is enabled? I notice it doesnt automatically start when the computer starts, which is fine.

Thanks

-Chris P
lepadatu.lucian

Post by lepadatu.lucian »

You can install fusion-icon and make it start at boot via Menu>Preferences>Startup Applications. This will only load the icon which will appear in the bottom right, on the panel. Then you can right click on it and choose Reload Window Manager in order to start compiz. You can disable compiz by selecting Metacity from Select Window Manager.

Return to “LMDE Archive”