I think people who are in AntiX, Mepis, Aptosid are heavy users of smxi.
taken from smix website, perhaps you read already, just paste here.
If you have nVidia and fglrx you probably would appreciate smxi.
also somewhere else would let you know their proper way of upgrading..
in summary, upgrade without X running...
Smxi is a feature rich, powerful script, and has the following primary features and options:
* System Upgrades (dist-upgrade / upgrade)
* Kernel upgrades / kernel module upgrades
* Automatated video card driver installation (plus any needed patches), especially non-free drivers like nVidia and AMD/ATI fglrx
* Installing extra software (including building a desktop/server from scratch, starting with just the base Debian system)
* Removing certain software
* Cleaning up your system (cleaning up apt archives, removing kernels/ kernel modules, cleaning system cruft, etc)
* Tweaking your system, mozilla configurations, installing some small graphics tweaks, etc.