suspend doen't work well on my laptop ( acer 5741G )

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby rdonnelly on Tue May 17, 2011 12:27 pm

alirezaimi wrote:
rdonnelly wrote:
alirezaimi wrote:
I have 6GB swap and 10GB / partition.
And i use ATI driver that installed with fglrx package.(ATI 5470)
I dont understand why this problem occured And why dont attention lmde developers to solve this problem or bug?


I also had a 10GB / partition, I bumped that up to 15GB because 10GB can fill up pretty quick with updates and all. Seem there should be a instruction guide to installing Mint with recommended partition sizes?

Are you sure that this way cause my problem ??
Or only is suppose ?


All I can say is 3 things have changed on my machine, and it has not had any suspend problems since.
1 went from no swap to a 4GB swap, that matches my 4GB ram. (I have never seen my ram at even 50% in use in system monitor, right now it is 33% swap is 0.1%)
2 I increased / from 10gb to 15gb.
3 went from the AMD Catalyst driver to the open source Nouvea driver.

If any of these 3 apply to you, it might be worth giving it a try?
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 KDE Plasma 4.10.5
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
User avatar
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby alirezaimi on Tue May 17, 2011 12:35 pm

rdonnelly wrote:All I can say is 3 things have changed on my machine, and it has not had any suspend problems since.
1 went from no swap to a 4GB swap, that matches my 4GB ram. (I have never seen my ram at even 50% in use in system monitor, right now it is 33% swap is 0.1%)
2 I increased / from 10gb to 15gb.
3 went from the AMD Catalyst driver to the open source Nouvea driver.

If any of these 3 apply to you, it might be worth giving it a try?


ok , thanks very much.
for :
1 I have 6G swap space Because is one old rule : 1.5*RAM=swap
2 ok,I increase / to 15G.
3 I use ATI Vga So i cant use Nouvea driver ! solution for this ? But i don't think my vga driver make this problem because in ubuntu with this driver for ATI Vga very good work suspend.

thanks.
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby rdonnelly on Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

alirezaimi wrote:
rdonnelly wrote:All I can say is 3 things have changed on my machine, and it has not had any suspend problems since.
1 went from no swap to a 4GB swap, that matches my 4GB ram. (I have never seen my ram at even 50% in use in system monitor, right now it is 33% swap is 0.1%)
2 I increased / from 10gb to 15gb.
3 went from the AMD Catalyst driver to the open source Nouvea driver.

If any of these 3 apply to you, it might be worth giving it a try?


ok , thanks very much.
for :
1 I have 6G swap space Because is one old rule : 1.5*RAM=swap
2 ok,I increase / to 15G.
3 I use ATI Vga So i cant use Nouvea driver ! solution for this ? But i don't think my vga driver make this problem because in ubuntu with this driver for ATI Vga very good work suspend.

thanks.


When you do a fresh install, the Nouvea driver is installed by default on ATI?
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 KDE Plasma 4.10.5
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
User avatar
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby alirezaimi on Wed May 18, 2011 4:09 am

rdonnelly wrote:When you do a fresh install, the Nouvea driver is installed by default on ATI?


I already fresh install now.
When i upgrade fresh install lmde and reboot it ,that boot with grapshical load and active compiz. After another reboot vga deactived! and i have to install fglrx. !
test suspend and tell you reprot.
thanks.
Last edited by alirezaimi on Fri May 20, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby alirezaimi on Fri May 20, 2011 7:02 am

I thinks this probelm solved !!
doen't happend yet. :shock:
Thanks for support.Thank you so much dear rdonnelly. :D
But i dont understand why this problem occured !?!
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby aeternal on Fri May 20, 2011 10:31 am

Let me understand, because this fact of 15 Gb of swap in order to allow the laptop to suspend is insane. Is it just a temporary fix and the problem will be solved soon or it is the only way?

Because let me make some calculations, in a few week I'll buy a laptop. It will have 8 Gb of RAM, this means that I will need 8*1.5 = 12 Gb of swap. Since I will have (for my needs) Debian Squeeze, LMDE tracking Sid and Mint 10/11 installed in the same hard disk, I will need 12*3 = 36 Gb of space just to suspend the laptop? Please clarify this thing because as I understood this is insane.
aeternal
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:46 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby alirezaimi on Fri May 20, 2011 10:44 am

aeternal wrote:Let me understand, because this fact of 15 Gb of swap in order to allow the laptop to suspend is insane. Is it just a temporary fix and the problem will be solved soon or it is the only way?

Because let me make some calculations, in a few week I'll buy a laptop. It will have 8 Gb of RAM, this means that I will need 8*1.5 = 12 Gb of swap. Since I will have (for my needs) Debian Squeeze, LMDE tracking Sid and Mint 10/11 installed in the same hard disk, I will need 12*3 = 36 Gb of space just to suspend the laptop? Please clarify this thing because as I understood this is insane.


15G for swap ??!!!!! You are wrong !
I and rdonnelly said 15G for / (Root) partition, This problem don't relevance to swap space and Hibernate use swap space mostly .In addition you should know for correct hibernate ,need to correct size swap space, and i know this rule(RAM*1.5) from old linux rules.
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby aeternal on Fri May 20, 2011 11:07 am

I expressed myself in the wrong way. What I don't understand is exactly the swap rule. The system will be exactly like this one I'm using at the moment, why should the laptop one be different from the desktop one? What I really don't understand is the 1.5*RAM rule, I don't understand why it is necessary to increase the swap proportionately to the RAM. I can hibernate my PC and everything works correctly, even if I just have 4gb of swap. Since the distro will be the same, why according to this rule I will require 12 gb of swap to hibernate the laptop? Hope you understand what I mean. I know it's a "old rule", it probably had more sense few time ago, when the ram wasn't enough. What I don't get is why it is still needed. I mean, somebody in this post said that the swap size has to be bigger than ram in order to work correctly. So, why?
aeternal
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:46 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby rdonnelly on Fri May 20, 2011 4:36 pm

aeternal wrote:I expressed myself in the wrong way. What I don't understand is exactly the swap rule. The system will be exactly like this one I'm using at the moment, why should the laptop one be different from the desktop one? What I really don't understand is the 1.5*RAM rule, I don't understand why it is necessary to increase the swap proportionately to the RAM. I can hibernate my PC and everything works correctly, even if I just have 4gb of swap. Since the distro will be the same, why according to this rule I will require 12 gb of swap to hibernate the laptop? Hope you understand what I mean. I know it's a "old rule", it probably had more sense few time ago, when the ram wasn't enough. What I don't get is why it is still needed. I mean, somebody in this post said that the swap size has to be bigger than ram in order to work correctly. So, why?


If your physical ram was at 100% and you had excess ram data written to the swap already, you would need more then 100% of your ram in the swap to save it all. The day your ram is 100% full, do you think the machine would actually be able to suspend? I never had my physical memory at 100% with 4GB, I only seem to use 1/3 of of the physical memory, and the swap has nothing, so I will not need an oversized swap to suspend. For the most part, I could suspend with 2GB of swap.
The OS: Linux Mint Debian 64 KDE Plasma 4.10.5
The Hardware: Dell 17R Special Edition, Intel Quad Core, i7 - 3.40 GHz, 8 GB Ram, HD 1TB
Video NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB
The Name: Bob
User avatar
rdonnelly
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop

Postby alirezaimi on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:21 pm

rdonnelly wrote:All I can say is 3 things have changed on my machine, and it has not had any suspend problems since.
1 went from no swap to a 4GB swap, that matches my 4GB ram. (I have never seen my ram at even 50% in use in system monitor, right now it is 33% swap is 0.1%)
2 I increased / from 10gb to 15gb.
3 went from the AMD Catalyst driver to the open source Nouvea driver.

If any of these 3 apply to you, it might be worth giving it a try?


Hi
I did any things you said,But after several times that i suspend my laptop, is very good and No problem,But this problem back now !
I dont know why this problem back ?!? :( :?: :x :x
=====
I increase my / from 10G to 20G,and swap to 6G,and home to 30G and i use fglrx driver while test.

any idea ????
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop ( acer 5741G )

Postby AlbertP on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

You indeed cannot use Nouveau but can you test with the 'radeon' driver that's used when uninstalling fglrx?
Registered Linux User #528502
Image
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6515
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop ( acer 5741G )

Postby alirezaimi on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:55 am

AlbertP wrote:You indeed cannot use Nouveau but can you test with the 'radeon' driver that's used when uninstalling fglrx?

I install xserver-xorg-video-ati and radeon and uninstll fglrx ,But when i use my hdmi port ,vga is very low quality.
I dont understand why mint developer dont see this problem . :x

thanks.
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop ( acer 5741G )

Postby Dr.m0x on Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:21 am

Ati have notoriously poor linux drivers. It's not Mints fault.

---
Sent from my Leedroid Gingerbread love machine.
Image
User avatar
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:12 am

Re: suspend doen't work well on my laptop ( acer 5741G )

Postby alirezaimi on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 am

Dr.m0x wrote:Ati have notoriously poor linux drivers. It's not Mints fault.

---
Sent from my Leedroid Gingerbread love machine.

I install this driver for this hardware on ubuntu and work very well ,But i think if this problem same debian vga problem that occured for my laptop ,this problem is for debian!
So i dont know yet situation for this problem.
thanks.
alirezaimi
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Hardware Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests