nvidia-settings/udev problems

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
robert-e

nvidia-settings/udev problems

Post by robert-e »

Hi,
I wonder if someone could offer some insight into what is going on:
I had lmde 10 64 bit loaded on this hp amd64 laptop, and had problems with udev; so I reinstalled ldme 10 32 bit...same problems.

I have been trying to install the nvidia driver via synaptic, and while it all installs okay, then the problems started. I ran nvidia-xconfig and it created xorg.conf as per usual. I then restarted X and ran nvidia-setting, but when I went to configure, it posted the error that it could not detect display 0:0. This sort of error shows up over all sorts of distros, so ldme is not along. (I also rebooted, tried from root, tried from user, booted into runlevel 1, and tried from there, all with no joy.

So back to google again, and some posts indicated that the service udev needed to be active. So I started udev, and when I rebooted, I had no keyboard input, and neither the touchpad nor the usb mouse worked. I unplugged and replugged the usb mouse, and got the mouse back. This same problem with udev happened with the 64 bit ldme. I booted back to runlevel 1, stopped the udev service, exited, and got back to the desktop. I had to open the services gui and untick udev, and when I rebooted all was normal again. However, the nvidia-settings configuration tool will still not work correctly.

What the heck is going on...this used to work just fine on this laptop in ldme last fall?

Regards,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CiaW

Re: nvidia-settings/udev problems

Post by CiaW »

Hi Bob,

If your nvidia issues are udev related then the thread I'm pasting may help, basically it involves downgrading the udev to the previous version as there was just an update that did bad things for some computers. See the last couple messages here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 45#p388045
robert-e

Re: nvidia-settings/udev problems

Post by robert-e »

Ciaw,
Sorry for the delay; we were out to a gathering around a campfire; it was a beautiful, calm, and warm evening. Anyway, I did have a look at your link, and downgraded those two files. Unfortunately, without the service udev running, on boot, I had no keyboard and essentially the same problem as previously when I had started the udev service. So I started the service, and still no joy. By then I was getting kind of testy, so I used an old password file, and opened (with the mouse) and copied the password. I then moused over to synaptic and pasted in the password..selected the two lib files previously downgraded, and reinstalled them. Now everything works, except the original nvidia-setting problem. I give up. I will pull the hard drive and put in the pure debian install hard drive, and wait until they fix this, if they ever do. I guess I am kind of disallusioned about things being fixed from my experiences with the Fedora devs; they would sooner put out a new version rather than fix problems with the current one. We will see how it goes.

Regardless, thank you for the tip..I did learn some things along the way.

Best regards,
Bob

Return to “LMDE Archive”