Has this issue been solved? I had the same problem with LMDE64, but I found the following worked for me. It seems long-winded, but it's really just a step-by-step walk-through of the process.
1. Maybe useful to begin, install smbfs in Synaptic
2. Don't use CUPS yet
3. Open Menu>Administartion>Printing from the main menu
4. Click the dropdown arrow next to Add and choose Printer
5. Enter your computer admin passwaord
6. Network Printer>Find Network Printer – wait a bit and the utility should find any printers on your network
7. Choose the correct printer and click Forward
8. Choose your printer from the list if available, if not there then
9. Download file from wherever, CD or Internet
10. Choose Provide PPD file from Choose Drive choices
11. Select the downloaded printer PPD and click Forward
12. Make selection of functions > Forward
13. Write a name for your printer and click Apply
14. Enter your password to authenticate the action
15. Enter password again – leave root
16. Print test page
17. If the printer still won't do its thing, then open Printing from the main menu again
18. Select your printer, cick the Server menu Server Settings and check 'Publish shared printers connected to this system'
19. Enter password
20. Thereafter CUPS can be used in a Web-browser to manage and configure http://localhost:631/admin
Hopefully that fixes things.