Brother DCP-120C Printer in 64 Bit Debian Edition

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
notthenewsreader

Brother DCP-120C Printer in 64 Bit Debian Edition

Post by notthenewsreader »

Hi Guys

I'm a complete newcomer to LMDE but have used Ubuntu for quite a number of years along with other distos such as Mint and Pinguyos, I've even used Arch although I found it to be a bit too much as it took 2 days to install and configure graphics card driver. I prefer things to 'just work' and have found Mint to be ideal for this, with the exception of installing iplayer on the 64 bit edition. I love the idea of LMDE and have installed it twice, but I keep going back to ordinary Mint as I am in college and need to be able to print work. I have a Brother DCP-120C printer which works fine in Ubuntu and Mint by simply installing the brother-cups-wrapper-extra package in synaptic. I would love to stick with LMDE but because I can't print I can't. Does anyone know how I can get my printer to work? I have manually installed and configured the printer but never manage to get it to print. I am also having difficulty in getting my Nvidia graphics card to work, Jockey works perfectly but alas, is only for Ubuntu. I know there is a manual installation method for proprietry graphics cards but have never got it to work properly.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
autocrosser

Re: Brother DCP-120C Printer in 64 Bit Debian Edition

Post by autocrosser »

Well--You can goto: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... index.html to download the driver for your printer...Brother has been very good to me (I've used a HL-2070N laser for several years now). Read thru the site before you d/l anything...there are fairly good instructions. As for the Nvidia drivers, what card are you using?
notthenewsreader

Hi autocrosser

Thanks for the reply, I've already tried the brother installation method and although the printer will show up, I can't actually print to it, I have tried several times now but I am no nearer to getting it to print, it is so annoying because I love mint and LMDE, I just can't get my printer to print and my graphics card to work at all, by the way I'm using a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS. I prefer Debian to Ubuntu and if I could just get these minor annoyances to work, I would stick with LMDE.
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Hmmmm---Well. I'm going to have to do some thinking on the printer--the Brother site has always worked for me....

As for Nvidia....there are several files that you need to install to get it working & you'll need to create a xorg.conf---I normally write my own xorg.conf (I use to do debug for Ubuntu) & then install a number of .debs---reboot & cross your fingers...

A typical xorg.conf that will work:

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	       "Default Screen"
	DefaultDepth	        24
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	                "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	         "Default Device"
        VendorName               "NVIDIA Corporation"
	Driver	"nvidia"
	Option	"NoLogo"	 "True"
        Option "RegistryDwords"  "PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" (don't include for laptops--will not allow reduced performance)
        Option "Coolbits" "4" 
        Option "TripleBuffer" "1"
        Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"
        Option "SLI"              "True"  (not needed for your application--ONLY FOR MULTIPLE CARDS)
        Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
EndSection

*****delete the options you don't need or put a # in front of them******
Put this with the mods you need in /etc/X11 (as root user)

The Nvidia .debs I have installed:
lib32vdpau1, libcuda1, libcuda1-ia32, libgl1-nvidia-alternatives, libgl1-nvidia-alternatives-ia32, libgl1-nvidia-glx, libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32, libglx-nvidia-alternatives. libvdpau1, nvclock-gtk (only needed if you O/C your card), nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-ia32, nvidia-kernel-common, nvidia-kernel-dkms, nvidia-settings, nvidia-smi, nvidia-vdpau-driver & nvidia-xconfig. Any other depends you will need will be pulled in by Synaptic when you start installing. ***(make sure you use Synaptic or by commandline use Aptitude)--dkms is required to load the Nvidia driver into each new kernel you install.***

Also note that I'm using a 64bit install---that's why the ia32 .debs--you won't be presented with them in a 32bit install....so proceed accordingly......(note for anyone that searches for "Nvidia drivers")
notthenewsreader

thanks autocrosser, I will give that a try now

Return to “LMDE Archive”