LMDE crash at login screen

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
nattydread69

LMDE crash at login screen

Post by nattydread69 »

LMDE (64 bit) will crash for me when I reach the login screen.
If I run in safe mode it boots fine. I have installed all the recent updates but the problem is still there. I have checked the logs for problems but couldn't spot anything.

Any advice where to look?
The only complaint on the boot up blurb is not being able to load the Open sound kernel module. However OSS4 is working fine for my sound card (as ALSA is useless). I don't think this is the issue though as the crash was there before I installed OSS4.

The other thing it might be is the mounting/location of the hard drives, as it seems a bit confused about where they are mounted and I am unable to mount and see the contents of my other hard drives once logged in. (I already have ubuntu 11.04 and micro$hite winxp installed on different drives, which are working fine)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CiaW

Re: LMDE crash at login screen

Post by CiaW »

It sounds like it might be related to a bug in udev after an upgrade, if this was a new install and then you applied updates? Apparently there's a directory /run that isn't needed with the new version and it's presence causes issues but of course it wasn't removed during the update. There's a thread around here about it.

At any rate, the solution is to boot to the safe mode then login, change to the / directory (cd /) and then remove the /run directory. (sudo rm /run) It might ask you to confirm, if so answer with a y and then reboot or startx may work, and hopefully that solves it! I think I checked the /run directory before I deleted it, and there's nothing there, removing it doesn't hurt anything.
nattydread69

Post by nattydread69 »

Hi,

No couldn't find any directory /run.

I noticed in the blurb in safe mode:
fuse init,
ntfs signature is missing,
failed to mount /dev/sdc1 invalid argument. The device /dev/sdc1 doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS

which is weird cos according to fdisk -l, sdd1 is the NTFS drive.
nattydread69

Post by nattydread69 »

OK I seem to have fixed it.

I noticed that sudo disk -l was reporting different mount locations than /etc/fstab.
I found the actual values using sudo blkid and amended /etc/fstab

all seems to be in working order. now. Yay.
It seems linux debian mint lags behind ubuntu in this regard...

Return to “LMDE Archive”