Can't print in Firefox 5

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Can't print in Firefox 5

Postby dhfx on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:22 pm

When I try to print from FF5, the printer icon shows in the taskbar; I click it and get the FF print-queue listing window. It shows the job with no printer listed, and the job just sits there. There's a right-click option to move the job to a different printer; it shows my other printers (including "print to PDF") but when I try to move the job, this seems to have no effect (i.e., trying again to move the job shows the same "other" printers as before). Trying to cancel or delete the job likewise has no effect. Control Center | Printing | View print queue for the originally-requested printer shows no jobs.

In FF I brought up "about.config" and it shows all the "print.print_command" entries as
print.print_command; lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}
Shouldn't that be a CUPS command instead of lpr? Also what about "MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"? Shouldn't it be getting the correct printer name from the OS or from CUPS? I could just modify "about:config" with the correct command if I knew it. What is the correct form for LMDE's CUPS print commands, anyway?

Any useful help will be appreciated.

- dhfx
dhfx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't print in Firefox 5

Postby slider on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 am

dhfx

Your about:config settings look OK to me. Check print_printer setting in about:config. This should show the name of your printer. You can add it there.

Also go to http://localhost:631/printers/ which is your cups manager page. Check that the printer is installed, etc.

You can also try reinstalling the printer. This sometimes helps to get things going again.

You didn't say whether printing with other software was unaffected or not?

Let us know.

S
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dhfx on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I once again can't print in Firefox 5 (using LMDE). It did work until a recent (probably) CUPS update. I can print with other apps, but in FF5 the Print dialog shows no printers installed. My about:config shows lots of "print.printer_..." properties for the correct printers, but the .print_command lines all look like this:

print.printer_HL-2140-series.print_command user set string lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+-P"$MOZ_PRINTER_NAME"}

(shouldn't there be a CUPS command?) and the printer_list string is void:

print.printer_list user set string

Uninstalling and reinstalling one of the printers had no effect. BTW, this is the same complaint that I raised in my original post, but I don't see that the question was really answered. What's going on?

Thanks in advance for any useful help. And when will FF7.1 make it into the repository?
dhfx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dhfx on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:10 am

Well, go figure. I rebooted and now it works - I can see the list of printers in the FF5 print dialog, and I was able to print.

Meanwhile I have another problem with one of my printers, an Epson Workforce 600 using CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.7. I can print a test page, but nothing else works. Jobs just sit in the queue until I delete them. Also, SimpleScan used to work with it but now it says there are no scanners on the system. Is there another recommended driver?
dhfx
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support