Driver for Canon PowerShot SX210 (Solved)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
msm

Driver for Canon PowerShot SX210 (Solved)

Post by msm »

My camera is not recognised in LMDE. Plugging it into the USB port and turning it on - and it will not show up in LMDE. I looked on Canon's website but found no Linux driver for the camera so I downloaded the driver for Windows 7 and tried installing it via Wine which wasn't possible.

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can locate some Linux software that'll make my camera recognisable in LMDE. I don't need it to be a program that can import the photos automatically, it'd be fine if the camera shows up as an external drive where I can manually drag/drop pics from.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Driver for Canon PowerShot SX210

Post by xenopeek »

Just to be sure; are you perhaps running a music player that has connectivity for iPods and such devices? I always have to disable the MTP plugin on Rhythmbox for my Canon to work properly. Somehow the music player with MTP enabled will "capture" the plugin event of the Canon, and keeps the device hidden for the rest of the system. Please check if you are running a music player in the background, either disable MTP on it or kill it good.

You can check if you Canon was detected with:

Code: Select all

lsusb
Is it in that list?

If another application is not blocking your access to the Canon, I think it should pop up a dialog asking you what to do. You can then select browse folder to just access the pictures.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Try gtkam - I have a similar issue in that my fuji camera isn't recognised by the filemanager, but gtkam can get into it just fine.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
msm

Post by msm »

xenopeek wrote:Just to be sure; are you perhaps running a music player that has connectivity for iPods and such devices? I always have to disable the MTP plugin on Rhythmbox for my Canon to work properly. Somehow the music player with MTP enabled will "capture" the plugin event of the Canon, and keeps the device hidden for the rest of the system. Please check if you are running a music player in the background, either disable MTP on it or kill it good.

You can check if you Canon was detected with:

lsusb
Is it in that list?

If another application is not blocking your access to the Canon, I think it should pop up a dialog asking you what to do. You can then select browse folder to just access the pictures.
I can't see a running music process in the background (at least not the way I do it), but the camera is spotted in terminal:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0a5c:217f Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth Controller
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 04f2:b1fc Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
Bus 002 Device 029: ID 0930:6545 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 102 Flash Drive / HEMA Flash Drive 2 GB / PNY Attache 4GB Stick
Bus 002 Device 030: ID 04a9:31f6 Canon, Inc. 
What's the best process for checking programs running in the background?
msm

Post by msm »

Roken wrote:Try gtkam - I have a similar issue in that my fuji camera isn't recognised by the filemanager, but gtkam can get into it just fine.
I tried that yesterday but it does not detect the camera. I can choose it from a list, but it doesn't find a device to browse files on.
yaye

Post by yaye »

msm wrote:I tried that yesterday but it does not detect the camera. I can choose it from a list, but it doesn't find a device to browse files on.
Start Digikam , plug in the camera and turn it on . On Digikam's menu click Camera, then Rescan. Hopefully, the camera will appear on the left pane of Digikam. If it doesn't, try Camera, Add Camera. It may be listed as something like JL2005B/C/D camera or USB PTP camera. Try using that. If I try hooking up my Canon SX20 IS and choose it from the drop down list at Add Camera, an error pops up saying "Failed to Initialize", but the Rescan and JL2005B/C/D options work. If I don't give Digikam a little time to read the different folders, it crashes.
msm

Post by msm »

yaye wrote:
msm wrote:I tried that yesterday but it does not detect the camera. I can choose it from a list, but it doesn't find a device to browse files on.
Start Digikam , plug in the camera and turn it on . On Digikam's menu click Camera, then Rescan. Hopefully, the camera will appear on the left pane of Digikam. If it doesn't, try Camera, Add Camera. It may be listed as something like JL2005B/C/D camera or USB PTP camera. Try using that. If I try hooking up my Canon SX20 IS and choose it from the drop down list at Add Camera, an error pops up saying "Failed to Initialize", but the Rescan and JL2005B/C/D options work. If I don't give Digikam a little time to read the different folders, it crashes.
Thanks - that program worked like a charm, no need to toggle anything for it to recognise the camera :D

Would you know how to open the program from the menu? There doesn't appear to be an icon in the menu list. It must be opened via the terminal.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Driver for Canon PowerShot SX210 (Solved)

Post by xenopeek »

That is strange, but glad you got it working :D Okay, open a Terminal and enter:

which digikam
That will tell you the full path of the binary. Then right-click on the Menu button, and choose Edit menu. Select a category, and push the New Item button. Set Name to Digikam, and set Command to the full path of Digikam.
msm

Post by msm »

xenopeek wrote:That is strange, but glad you got it working :D Okay, open a Terminal and enter:

which digikam
That will tell you the full path of the binary. Then right-click on the Menu button, and choose Edit menu. Select a category, and push the New Item button. Set Name to Digikam, and set Command to the full path of Digikam.
Well, it's located here

/usr/bin/digikam
But I was able to add the icon simply by right-clicking on the Menu button, and choose Edit menu, selecting a category and choosing to show the icon.

Thanks for your help!
yaye

Post by yaye »

msm wrote:Thanks - that program worked like a charm, no need to toggle anything for it to recognise the camera :D
You're welcome.
msm wrote:Would you know how to open the program from the menu? There doesn't appear to be an icon in the menu list. It must be opened via the terminal.
I was at work and didn't see this until tonight. I see you already got it done. :D
yaye

Post by yaye »

yaye wrote:
Ooops, I was just reviewing my posts on the forum and noticed that, although Digikam works also, these are the instructions for gtkam.
jo12

Post by jo12 »

Thank You!! that worked for me too when starting the Digikam app first and then plugging in and turning on camera instead of asking the camera to activate the program. I am using a Canon Powershot 800 and have not tried my Canon S5iS yet but should not be a problem. :)
yaye

Post by yaye »

jo12 wrote:Thank You!! that worked for me too when starting the Digikam app first and then plugging in and turning on camera instead of asking the camera to activate the program. I am using a Canon Powershot 800 and have not tried my Canon S5iS yet but should not be a problem. :)
You're welcome.

Return to “LMDE Archive”