External hard drive freezes system

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

External hard drive freezes system

Postby Aradan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi, i have a problem with my 1Tb external hard drive. Everytime i do "remove safely..." (i think that's the option, Expulsar en forma segura) or umount from graphical mode, my system freeezes and the Bloq Mayus key starts to blink. The only thing i can do then is reboot.
I tought it was a kernel issue so i installed Liquorix with 3.0 kernel (3.0-1.dmz.3-liquorix-amd64), but the problem persists and i don't know how to fix it. I didn't find useful information on google, i hope someone knows something about it.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Aradan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: External hard drive freezes system

Postby edwinv on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 pm

i have exactly the same problem - i have a external usb 1TB harddisk which i use for backups - if i disconnect the drive no problems - when i let it connected after a whle the system freezes ) another thing is that nautilus when i open it always opens the external hard drive instead of the normal home folder - system is installed on the local hard drive and the external drive is always connected (starts with the computer)

this is a bug i think - i hope the soltution will come soon
edwinv
Level 2
Level 2

Re: External hard drive freezes system

Postby zerozero on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 pm

there's at least another thread about the same issue viewtopic.php?f=141&t=75848&start=0
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Hardware Support