Pathetic transfer speeds to USB flash drive.

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Pathetic transfer speeds to USB flash drive.

Postby xircon on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:26 am

Trying to copy 4.3gb of files (large avi files). I am getting really slow speeds, it is going to take 45 minutes (and the time is going up and up :(). Doesn't seem to affect my USB hard drive as much. I have passed the USB flash disk and hard drive over to my girlfriend to copy on win7 its says it will take 15 minutes (and it did!).

I can see lots of bug reports about this on lots of distros, but cannot see a fix or workaround, anyone know of a fix?
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Pathetic transfer speeds to USB flash drive.

Postby Brian49 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:21 am

Are you by any chance trying to copy using Nautilus? If so, your experience is par for the course. A better alternative, in my view, is to use rsync, with grsync as a front-end if you prefer a graphical interface.
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Pathetic transfer speeds to USB flash drive.

Postby xircon on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Yes, I am using Nautilus. Would never have considered using rsync to do such a simple job, thanks for the tip. Will give it a go, flash drive is plugged into the DVD drive with season one on, with use rsync for season two (4.4gb) and report back.

Cheers

Steve
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"
xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Hardware Support