Canon Powershot Elph 310hs camera not automatically mounted

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
robertb

Canon Powershot Elph 310hs camera not automatically mounted

Post by robertb »

We recently bought a canon point-and-shoot camera. It has a USB interface. I was expecting that, when I plugged it into the computer, it would automount the camera. It did not do that.

I found this thread
and I used the gvfs-mount trick which allowed me to import the photos via f-spot.

This thread refers to another bug which indicates that there is a problem with the udev rule to mount cameras via libgphoto2/gphoto2 .

Does the above referenced bug exist in the LMDE Gnome version of Linux Mint? If so, is it worth it to hand-hack the udev rules file to fix this problem.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
robertb

Re: Canon Powershot Elph 310hs camera not automatically moun

Post by robertb »

I found http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=625872. It appears that this problem has not been fixed.

I whipped up a script which mounts the camera until this gets fixed:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
lsusb | grep Canon > /tmp/canon.lsusb
if [ -s /tmp/canon.lsusb ]; then
        sed -e 's%^Bus \(.*\) Device \([^:]*\).*%gvfs-mount "gphoto2://[usb:\1,\2]"%' /tmp/canon.lsusb \
                | sh -xv
else
        echo mount_canon: cannot find Canon device! 1>&2
fi
It seems that shotwell should work better than either gthumb or f-spot (maybe it uses libgphoto2 directly?) and that would be the best long-term solution.

Return to “LMDE Archive”