Ati HD5450 PCI Edition

Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Ati HD5450 PCI Edition

Postby xruss on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:44 am

Hello!

I'm pretty new to Linux, also my English isn't the best, i hope i don't mess around here :)

Now my problem that i can't get solved with my researches by google is, that my Graphic Card is Detected as an ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5430 Series]
But its supposed to be an Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar), and as this isn't enough, nothing of the 3D Hardware acceleration is working...
this is the output of Inxi -Fx

Can someone Help me with that issue?
Already tryed the performance tweaking options from arch linux but that wasn't a help at all
The non-free drivers are also not working!
This is the third Distribution i'm trying now, no one of the other worked also so far.
The only thing i got it to run was some 1080p HD videos at Windows 7, but also there the Desktop Performance is poor...
xruss
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ati HD5450 PCI Edition

Postby mank_in on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 am

I thinks you using LMDE and I guess your card is this one :

your problem is bottleneck between VGA card and CPU. PCI transfer rate is 133 MB/s , compare it with PCI express x16 ( version 2.0 ) 8GB/s .
And you must install ATI proprietary driver ( output of your inxi -Fx show : GLX Renderer: Rasterizer )
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ati HD5450 PCI Edition

Postby xruss on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Oh, sorry, yess im using lmde and the graphic kard is from club3d
Even if PCI has only 133m/bit, a blueray disc has only 36m/bit reading speed, so at least it shouldnt be an big problem to view videos etc. But without hardware acceleration, this wont work...
Everything i do on the pc is renderd by the CPU, xfce, videos and also glxgears...
The non-free ati driver, was the best result till now, with it, glxgears have about 300fps.
Is this value "ok" ? A 1080p video via youtube was not possible to watch at all, too much stuttering.
I am still thinking that the reason of the problem is, that linux thinks its an mobile 5430...
xruss
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support